1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SansAmp RPM / SVT 4-Pro wiring

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Trailight, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass / Darkglass Electronics / Tsunami Cables
    I am new to the rack mount pre-amp world, and I heard a few things from people suggesting how to hook up their SansAmp to their amps but I haven't found any particular information as to how to do different configurations with an SVT 4-Pro.

My specific questions are:

1.What are the specific wiring configurations to blend the SansAmp with the Pre of the 4-Pro?

2.What are the specific wiring configurations to bypass the Pre on the 4-Pro and use the SansAmp as the Pre and the 4-Pro as the power amp?

Many thanks!!

2. JR2M

JR2M

Dec 16, 2009
    Have the SansAmp RPM "line out" go into the "return" half of the effects loop on the SVT 4-Pro to bypass the 4-Pro's preamp. Or just put it in the main input jack and mix it to taste.

3. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    It would be quite a challenge to permanently get a cable from the back of the Sans to the input of the amp...

_MG_9423.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So run a cable, ya lazy bum!

:D

5. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    :D
    I was meaning to have a permanent cable run inside the rack and not around it. No gap to get a cable through. At least not one I can see ;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So it won't be perfect looking...it'll sound better. The 4 Pro sounds really sweet and there's no way I'd bypass that killer sounding tube pre for a Sansamp, but I would add some Sansamp to it when I needed it.

7. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I agree. I think I will go with the blending option and just run a cable through the back. I love the sound of the 4-pro and a blend might just be the best option.

8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    If you want to "blend" the two preamps you would need some type of mixer. I would recommend trying to use the preamps independently since the amp has the ability to switch the efx loop on and off. This will probably only work if you are not running the amp in stereo.

You would plug your bass into the RPM first and the connect the uneffected 1/4" out of the RPM and send that to the front end of the Ampeg. Then connect the SansAmp output of the RPM to the efx return of the Ampeg. Don't connect anything to the efx send of the amp. You should now be able to switch between the sound of the Ampeg pre and RPM when you turn on and off the efx loop.

9. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Very cool! Thank you for your help!! :bassist:
    The RPM rocks by the way! :bassist: