Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Sound Quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skorzen, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I am wondering about the sound quality of the Sansamp preamps(spacifically the RBI) vs. that of other preamps made by other major companies. I have heard that they can be noisy at times, how bad is it? overall how do they compare to preamps from companies like Ampeg and SWR?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IME, the SansAmp Bass Driver is extremely quiet, even when I use overdrive. I haven't used the RBI, but I've been considering one for my rack. The RBI is bassically a SABDDI with just a few extra features, so I don't see how it would be any noisier. I've been following the Tech21 products on a couple discussion boards, and haven't noticed complaints about noise from either the SABDDI or RBI.

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I the complaints of noise came from a couple of reviews on Harmony Central, one of them blamed the power where it was used, and I wouldent be suprised if that was an issue with the others. I just wanted to see if this was a common issue. Thanks for the info.

4. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Not sure if you are a Rush fan or not, nor does this impy anything, But.... Geddy uses the RBI SOLELY for his tone these days while touring with rush. Now at that volume, noise is both a major issue and and a non issue depending on where you look at it from.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had my RBI for almost a year, and it's very quiet now that I have the proper 120V tranformer! Mine managed to slip out of the factory set up for 220V...

6. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I've been using mine for a couple of months now, and it is dead silent, even with some of the crappy power I have to plug in to some times. My guitarist has an ampeg SVP-PRO that I play with sometimes and I would say the RBI is at least as quiet, if not quieter. It's a good deal.

7. I love my RBI to death. It's really quiet. One thing I noticed is that I tended to turn down the horn on my SWR Goliath Sr. because the dirt had almost too much edge, even with the prescence down.

Actually just bought the Tech21 Landmark 60 Bass Combo as a small practice/rehearsal amp. It just sounds huge. I can dial the same sounds up anywhere no matter what size rig I've got. A single 10 handles the Low-B just fine.

I'm just anxious to get my new Eden Poweramp... should be here tomorrow.

Can't wait to pump 900 watts /8 ohms into my shiny (well, carpeted) 2x10xst. (I can't wait... it'll help me play faster and get girls)

FishBulb

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That Landmark 60 is VERY tempting. I was all set to pick up a Bassman 25 or 60 for my ABG, but I really like the sound of my RBI. Hmmm...

9. well, let me tell you this on the landmark 60:

I work for a Tech 21, SWR, Eden dealer in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

We ordered the LM60 when it was announced in January... our invoice said we ordered ours Feb 5.

We got our first 6 weeks ago, beginning of October. I Ordered my own the day after it came in. I sold my SWR WM10 w/ext10 for one of these amps. They are the best little combo I'm come across and handle a low b well. The drive is sensitive, not so much a slappers amp, but cool. Basically, if you like your RBI then the LM60 is a must!

It will drive another cab, but disables the internal speaker. Also, only run an 8 ohm cab with it... one thing I noted is that the power amp clips when driving a bigger cab, like an Eden 2x10 XST, but still sounds oh-so-sweet. I'm tempted to get the Powerwedge 60 and XLR into that, but that might be a bit much to lug around.

LM60 = 36lbs... it's great, has good tone, great volume... wonderful. I love it, can get my RBI tone at practice with a small amp, or if need be, a small gig and just DI to the house system.

Any other questions, let me know, I've had mine for about a month now.

FishBulb

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, FishBulb - still high on your Landmark 60?

11. Very much so.

Two days after that post I had to play a gig about 5 hours out from the Twin Cities here. We were going to use a house drumset, and an amp was going to be available to me.

However, I tossed the LM60 into the truck, it didn't take up much space, so I figured I'd give it a whirl if I didn't want to play through the amp at the gig.

Well, it was at a bar, the house amp was a Crate, probably around 100 watts... and another bass player offered up for me to use his Trace Head with a peavey 410tvx. I was already set up and had gone through a soundcheck so I thought I'd just try it out. As a monitor it was great... I've somewhat gotten accustomed to hardly hearing myself on stage so I was prepared, BUT I could hear myself, the drummer could hear me, and so could the guitar player over his half stack. I was pretty impressed... I was at the right angle where it shot up to my ear, but that did the trick. Also, the sound guy dug it just cuz sounded good and had the ground lift.

I'm still loving it, been able to compete with loud guitar players and loud drummers. I highly recommend one as a practice amp. That, or if you already have a preamp that you like (BDDI, RBI, Pod (no digital for me)) that's easy and portable, get their powerwedge 60... I think you'll be impressed.

FishBulb

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'll second the comparison between these two. I recorded solely with the SansAmp after rehearsing and doing some pre-recording level checks with the SVP-Pro. The engineer only wanted to use the SansAmp, and it was his SVP!

DD