1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SansAmp tech 21 RBI bass tube amp emulator preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by descendent22, Jan 18, 2018.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    E168ABA9-D52D-42CF-9F0E-D32536C6F96A-187-00000057713DC3BA.
    (Skip to last paragraph for the main point if you don't wanna read it all)

So I've posted a couple times on how I'm on this search to get the tone I'm hearing in my head. It's just a matter of how I've evolved as a musician and how I prefer my tone. I went from Fender to Ampeg amps, started using EMG active Pickups, went back to Ernie Ball Super slinky strings and that all brought me closer and closer to the tone I can hear in my brain but I still wasn't there. So then for Xmas I was given a SansAmp Tech 21 bass driver DI and that's what I'm currently using. It's brought me even closer to that tone I seek and I love it. However I'm still not there. Until I have the $$ to buy the " dream amp " that will pretty much give me that grind/grit/growl I have to go about it in another way.

My technique or style or whatever you wanna call it is really just a combination of each one of my bigger influences ground up into one. With that said you tend to play similiar music and gear that your influences play. Be it that I have punk roots and my favorite Band is Guns N Roses you could only imagine how I hear and want my tone. Guys like Dee Dee Ramone, Paul Siminon, Duff Mckagan, Tommy Stinson are the top bassist to influence every bit of my bass playing but more of the latter 2. I gotta have that tone with lots of Mids, clean but with that grind/grit/growl almost slightly distorted sound.

After doing some research on Duff and Tommy's Gear through rig rundown and bass player magazine one key piece of common gear they both use or have in their setup is the picture I posted. The SansAmp tech 21 RBI preamp. When it comes to duffs gear his main signal comes from the GK and Fender setup he has. He SansAmp is just backup in case those 2 go down but Mcbob ( duffs tech ) explained that the SansAmp could give him that same tone he has. Tommy on the other hand uses the SansAmp in his setup and that's how he gets his tone dialed in along with his SVTs. Now I'm not trying to get their exact tone as their tones are 2 totally different tones but they do have that grind and grit I seek. I've read good things about this preamp which brings me to the point of this post:

My current amp is the new generation Ampeg BA-210. I do have a cabinet also I can plug into it to add onto the setup as well if needed. Anyway will this SansAmp preamp hook up no problem to the BA210? Also anyone who has this preamp please tell me about your experience with it.

2. mistic mayham

mistic mayham

Oct 12, 2018
    Ok well maybe you have grown as a player in 6 or 8 months your tastes could have changed but with a combo amp that u got the tech 21 bass driver would be perfect for u there kinda pricey but its so worth it i no you can get Duffs sound dilled in very easy with it there is a rackmount version of the sansamp the rbi and rpm the rbi is for bass and the rpm is for guitar and bass i would not get a rackmount unit with a combo amp but the tech 21 bass driver is very close to the rackmount in sound and its a pedal. I have both the rackmount version and the pedal i love them both but i use a rack bass head with separate cabinets

3. mistic mayham

mistic mayham

Oct 12, 2018

4. mistic mayham

mistic mayham

Oct 12, 2018

5. mistic mayham

mistic mayham

Oct 12, 2018

6. mistic mayham

mistic mayham

Oct 12, 2018
    The bass driver will color your sound very well before your amp i use mine when i do in my effects loop or send return in the back of most amps or it can be used as a foot switch that u put before your amp i no theres a YouTube video that has Duffs settings on the sansamp bass driver gene simmons geddy lees there not dead on you would need there gear for that and bass tone is mostly in the players fingers or how they pick it you would have to be them lol to get it perfect and a ton of cash but that little pedal will forsure get u very close

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    How long have you been playing bass?

8. mistic mayham

mistic mayham

Oct 12, 2018
    About 17 years off and on