Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp vs. Aguilar DB924 vs. Raven labs. vs. Fodera vs. ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Awright, I'm thinking about one of these stomp-box sized preamps, and I'd like to hear comments. I mostly play a Precision with flats, and I'd like to be able to vary my sound a bit more than I can now. There are a ton of these preamps available within about a hundred bucks of each other, but I can't go anywhere and A/B/C/D/E ... them ;) , so I'd like to hear what users have to say.

I'm looking at:

Sans amp Bass Driver DI

Aguilar DB 924

Sadowsky Outboard Bass Preamp/DI

Raven Labs PHA-1

Fodera Model 2000

K & K

and others.

I can only buy one at this time. I could also probably buy a used Peavey Max, which I realize is a whole different deal, but may be worth considering. I would be interested in using these either with a head or combo or directly into a power amp.

Help!

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Someone here had two or three of these devises on hand at the same time and did a rather nice review. He ended up going with the Sadowsky. Try searching the effects site.

I own the PHA-1 specificaly for playing along with recorded music. The seperat stereo channel balance was a deciding factor for me. It also doubled as my preamplifier while my Navigatior was in for repair. The unit is very quiet and the quality seems well above average. Raven Labs just released its new multi-band equalizer.

While each of the components you mentioned are similar, each has its own strong point or focus. Be clear to yourself as to exactly what you want this devise to do well.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    These units have all received (or earned) high accolades from product reviewers, such as Bass Player, and thus, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I own the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and love it! It gives me added flexibility without having to dial in new sounds on my amp (though my EBS Fafner can duplicate most of those tones with minimal effort). Even though it's kind of overkill for me, from the standpoint that I can still obtain most of those tones, I find the Bass Driver is a great addition to my tonal arsenal!:D

Do a search in the "Effects" section, and I think you'll find a lot more info out there.

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I own the Sans Amp Bass Driver and the Fodera Model 2000. They are both really good, though different. The Sans Amp is great for adding something different to what you already have (i.e. dirt, or tube-amp emulation). For awhile, I was gigging alot on house gear and I would always end up bypassing the input section of whatever (crappy) head the club had and using the Sans Amp as a front end. It always sounds good.

The Fodera is great if you are looking to add active bass capabilities to a bass. I use it with a Fodera that already has a similar circuit inside. The mid by-pass feature is SUCH as good idea. If you dial up a great scooped slap sound, you can leave the mids bypassed until you need it. Or do the opposite with a boosted mid solo sound. It also sounds great with an electric upright.