Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp VS. New Amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know, I know, the Sansamp bass driver has been done to death, do a search... but this one is a bit custom to my situation.

My current amp setup is this:

Crate BXH220
    and
    Crate SLM Cab 4x12

So if you've cruised the amp thread, I was arguing getting a new head... would a Sansamp bass driver be a logical step? Let me list some of the pros:

- I've heard people sometimes run this straight to the board and THAT is there sound!
    - It'll give me that distortion sound I dig so much (and add to my already 3 different distortions... I'll probably ditch a few)
    - It'll save me about 300 bucks!

What do you think? I mean, I could afford an amp... but I shouldn't... and then with all that money I saved... mebbe I could convice my girlfriend to let me buy a Peavey T-40 on Ebay. :bag:

Or maybe just the footswitch for my Digitech Jamman... I haven't decided. :D

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I'm planning to get a Para Driver which is the same as the Bass version w/ a mid controll instead of a presence. The advantage with the new ones is that you can run the 1/4" out at line level to a power-amp or at instrument to a head and you can run the XLR to the board even at a different level from the 1/4" (there is a level selector for each out).

If you current head has an fx loop (too lazy to google it) run you other FX into the Driver and the Driver's 1/4" to the fx in.

3. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I use my SansAmp as my preamp.. It goes straight into my power amp... I tried a million combinations with different amps, cabinets, heads, you name it. Finally I just stripped it down to what I liked best. My SansAmp, Carvin DCM1000, and Ampeg 8x10... I'm very happy with it and people have complimented me on my tone..

The setup is nice and simple and works for me in a variety of ways. I keep my power amp and cabinet in my regualr bands rehearsal space, but if I sub with someone else or do some recording I just take my pedalboard and basses with me and plug into the PA.. Not the ideal setup, but it works fine for rehearsals. I then only have to worry about lugging my rig around when there's a gig.

If you like the sound of the SansAmp by itself, you can snag a decent power amp for a few hundred bucks. Mine's 1000 watts and cost me under $500.. I've got plenty of headroom and decent tone.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmmm... I think I'll probably end up getting the sansamp.

Using it as a poweramp... would that be any different than having it as the last effect in your chain? I'm a complete tech moron.

5. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Not as a power amp, as a preamp. The preamp shapes your tone, while the power amp amplifies and delivers that tone to the speakers.

Yes, I do have it last in the chain. That way anytime I use an effect, the effected tone comes out both my amp and the PA when I'm playing live.

Here's the geeked out version of my rig so you can get an idea of the signal chain. I have since found that the Boss LMB-3 was killing my sound so I removed it, but this will still give you an idea:

My rig

6. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The advantage of the getting the sansamp is obvious: You can ALWAYS use the sansamp, sending a pre (amp) eq sansamped signal to the FOH!!
    This means you have always the killer sound you like at the PA and at your amp (no matter what amp it is, maybe even a provided/rented backline).
    The only thing you could do to enhance this, is getting the sansamp RBI preamp if you prefer 19" to pedals!

Another option would be one of the Tech21 Landmark amps. I did not do it because I refuse to use an amp with 2 channel Volume controls instead of a single Master Volume.

7. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    +1 on gillento's post..

I'm pretty much guaranteed the same tone whether I have an amp or have to be run through the board..

Another advangtage it has is a parallel output that's not effected.. That way if you are using a rented backline and the provided amp and SansAmp aren't playing nicely (i.e. sound like crap together) you can run the parallel output to the amp and then have the SansAmp going out to the PA.

This won't happen all that much, but it's nice to have if you need it.

They're very versatile units.. Probably the best $200 I ever spent.

8. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Not a problem.... the Landmark 600 is a storming head and the 2 volume controls allow you to mix and match tones to your heart's content! :bassist:

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    But you have to change 2 pots when you want to change the overall volume. Just like on the classic 2 Vol Jazz Bass design.

This seems rather fiddly for me in hectic, last minute adjustments that seem to be necessary once in a while (at every gig I use an amp :( ....)

I am really a die hard SansAmp fan (RBI, BDDI, PBDDI, Acoustic DI, GT2...) but I do not understand why tech21 did not add a single Master Volume (just like on multiple channel guitar amps). If this would be the case, I would buy the Landmark 600 the day it was released.
    So now I "have" to use my trusted SWR SM500 with the tech21 RBI in the parallel loop.

10. Go for it, but I'd advise getting that there para driver. the Prescence control is just like adding LOTS of high-high-end, at least to my ears, and even when I add more of my original signal and floor the mids on my amp, the BDDI still sucks mids out.

BUT! The distortion, while somewhat limited, is realllly fun to play with:hyper: . I like turning the treble down, cranking the drive and bass controls, and getting a stoner-metal sorta fuzz sound.

11. another +1 on the tech 21 landmark amp, that way you have the new amp and the sansamp, i believe one channel is the sansamp bass driver, and the other is the acoustic sansamp thing...that way you can really sound like tool :)