1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp VT Bass DI (SVT Setting)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hkronin, May 26, 2015.

1. hkronin

hkronin

Mar 10, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Recently bought the Sansamp VT Bass DI pedal. Love the tone, but was curious about one thing. When I change the settings to the SVT Settings from the manual (see below) I am getting quite a bit of distortion. From what I understand, this is supposed to be a clean sound, correct? I have to turn the Drive down to about 9 o'clock to get rid of the overdrive sound. When watching Youtube videos of people demoing this pedal, the SVT settings sound clean. Anyone else had this problem?

FYI, I have the Bite-on, and Speaker Sim-off. SVT Settings.

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    That setting would have some definite OD on it.

3. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    im curious how this differs from the bddi? (the other sans amp di pedal)

4. hkronin

hkronin

Mar 10, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    There was a good thread on that here: sansamp: vt bass vs. bddi | TalkBass.com

A rep from Tech 21 chimes in on that thread as well.

5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Consider this: a real SVT amp produces more than one single sound. It's got knobs, you can twist them. So I guess what I'm suggesting is that when the Tech 21 people say "the SVT sound" perhaps they mean "that sound that an SVT makes when you're pushing it into tube overdrive." Which is probably just what your settings above sound like.

Me, I liked the VT Bass DI. But, like every other dirt pedal I've owned in the past I found that I couldn't stop fiddling with it, never could quite dial in the sound I was looking for.

I flipped it for a Aguilar Agro a couple of months back. So far I haven't changed the setting I dialed in the first day I got it.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sample tones from the manufacturer are not meant to be anything more than sounds they like. I get a completely different tone out of an SVT than that, for example. But they name them that way because they feel like it ;) Also, the knobs on a VT are very sensitive and have a lot of range, so even more than any other pedal out there, knob position means nothing.

7. hkronin

hkronin

Mar 10, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, I get what you guys are saying. It's just that my understanding of this pedal was that those settings are supposed to mimic a clean SVT sound. My concern is that I got a bad pedal, or there is some other factor or setting that I am missing. I would love to hear from somebody else who owns that pedal if they are getting a heavy overdrive tone with those settings. From the youtube videos I have seen, people with similar "Character and Drive" settings seem to have a cleaner tone. I'm wondering if I'm clipping somewhere.

8. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    I found that the flip top setting (roughly) best estimated a clean tube-like tone.

tedious1 likes this.
  9. Bengals

Bengals

Jul 6, 2010
    Try backing off the drive knob, or turn the character closer to 12:00. Different basses will have different output levels so you have to dial in the sound you want yourself

eriky4003 and Fuzzbass like this.
  10. Cedde

Cedde

Dec 4, 2007
    Denmark,Aarhus

This is the sound i get with the SVT settings from my manual.
    First with pedal turned of, then turned on.

hkronin likes this.
  11. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The sample sounds are done with a vintage bass with low output passive pickups. They are also done direct. If you run the unit into another amp your results will not be the same. The controls are highly interactive but the same principals that apply to a non master volume tube amp apply to the SansAmp. With the volume below noon you will obtain cleaner tones and a greater level jump when increasing the drive. As you go past noon on the drive control the sound will distort more and you will get less of a volume increase due to the compression that is a natural part of a distorted signal.

The Drive and Character controls are the SansAmp section. The tone and level controls are post. Because the pedal can get it's overdrive independent of volume level you should start with lower drive settings when playing live. Settings that work in isolation may not work well when playing with a loud drummer and guitarist.

12. hkronin

hkronin

Mar 10, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    ThanksTech21, I think my bass may be the issue... while passive, the DiMarzio Willpower pickups are still very hot. That would make sense that mine would be overdriving, while other basses would sound clean with the same settings. I get a great, punchy, clean tone from the model when I have the drive setting at about 9 o'clock.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Once the drive gets to about 8:30 on the dial, it's noticeable. At noon it's very noticeable, and it's especially noticeable with a hot bass. Nothing wrong with your pedal.

14. Yeah, I keep the Drive and Char around 9:30/10:00 to get an SVT tone. Use your ears over the manual on that one.

15. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

For one thing, it has a MID knob,seriously lacking in the bddi