1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp VT useable as a lone preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by downstairs, May 13, 2010.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Hey guys. My last rig was a Peavey Classic 400, and an ampeg 6x10. Good God was that rig badass. Regardless, I stopped playing music, and sold the setup.

My current setup is just a borrowed Ampeg BA115, and a 1970 Fender P-bass. I like the tone, but with the band I'm in, I'm cranking the amp right now, and it's still not quite loud enough, especially since I am tuning to Drop-B right now.

Anyway, I've been looking around. I would love some good old tube tone, but right now it's not in the budget. I read some reviews, and listened to some of the sounds the Sansamp VT can make, and I really do like that. If I get the sansamp though, can that be used as a preamp, and I can go direct into a power amp? If so, then all I'd have to worry about is a cab, and Atomic Music in Beltsville usually has good stuff, if not, guitar center usually has some decent used gear.

Any other suggestions are welcomed. I'm in a fairly loud hardcore/metal band, so volume is needed.

2. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    Yes you can use the VT as a stand alone preamp and plug it into the power amp section of an amp. If you want to be loud, well there are many many options to choose from. It all depends on your budget.

3. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Second that. I use the VT as my pre-amp. It goes into a Genz Benz Neopak hooked up to 2 8X10s. Looks silly. Sounds great.

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I was thinking of using it with just a poweramp, no bass head.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Bump for a fellow Marylander. It's a good question... there's a famous mod out there for the BDDI to give it the output needed to fully drive some power amps (such as QSC's, as I recall). How does the VT compare to the BDDI?

6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The VT has more than enough output to fully drive a power amp.

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    IIRC thats how Tech 21 had it demo'd at NAMM?

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I'd love to see a pic of that setup. I thought my Neopak with my two GB Neox 212T cabs stacked vert + VT pedal might look silly too. But no way, more like silly-crazy-good tone and volume. Right, Mr Bassie?

I love my VT pedal w/ my Neopak/F1/LMII. To OP, and if its not the deluxe model, you can have the standard VT pedal modded with other good features to just run that power amp. Do a search and check it out.

9. dream of having a powered cab that you could just bring a Sansamp in your gig bag and away you go.
    I think Bergatino's have one, if im not mistaken

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'm surprised there aren't more powered speaker options out there for bass. but then again, preamps really don't sell that well, so maybe it wouldn't work out so well for manufacturers.

11. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Bag End makes powered speakers too.

=wr=

12. Agreed,
    I get great tone from my Sadowsky sooooooo why not just be able to run direct from the bass into a powered cab?
    The onboard Sadowsky pre-amp is...well...a...pre-amp!
    Sounds simple enuff but am I missing something technical here? :D

13. yup :) you're missing a gain stage

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the Bergantino IP series.

The "flat is where it's at" crowd would be horrified at the thought of using a SansAmp into one.... sooooo, I think you should do exactly that! :ninja: Seriously, if I had an IP then I would, too.

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Not me. I've been playing with a BDDI into an IP310 and it sounds great. The nice thing about the really flat IP is that it let's you accurately hear whatever the preamp is doing. Many people have always claimed that they love the sound of the BDDI in the studio, or though a PA, but hated into a bass rig. Bass rigs have their own voicing that is generally much different than a flat rig. The IP310 really allows the BDDI to shine IMO. I think the VT Bass would be the same.

16. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Wow. Just looked up the prices on a Berg. Way out of my range. $2k for a powered 1x12 is a bit steep for me. I really wish I could find a shop that has the sansamp VT so I could try it out before I drop the money on it.

Maybe a local tber has one I can listen to or give a shot??

17. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    i just bought a VT a few days ago when i got it home and tried it out with my warwick was meh ok i guess but when i got to my practice space and ran it though my Eden setup with an old no name p bass (left my warwick at home by mistake) i was floored!!! if you want a good rock tone on the cheap nothing compares to it

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    There really isn't as much bang for the buck with the IP112 I don't think. You're still paying for the amp and DSP but only getting it in a smaller package where it can't shine as much. Physics is still physics, but folks who've tried the IP112 will tell you that it's absolutely astounding what it can do.

The IP310 is flat out incredible. I've never heard so much volume and bottom coming out of a box that size. It literally sounds bigger than your average 610, and doesn't change tonally as the volume goes up. I shopped prices for an IP112 for a bit, and found some fairly good deals, but still kind of high, especially if you have to also add the 112ER extension cab to get more volume. The IP310 was moderately more expensive, but it wallops. Granted it is a bit heavy, and not something you'd want to carry to small gigs that a single 112 could handle. Or maybe you would. I don't mind the weight at all personally, and I'll use it as often as I can, or until I get tired of it.

A similar solution using separates wouldn't be light either. A good 410 is going to run 60 lbs. A moderate Crown XTI is going to by 18 lbs, plus another 10 lbs for a lightweight SKB to rack it in. That's 88 lbs right there, but of course you can move it separately. The IP310 is smaller, and with the castors is easy to move around once you hoist it in/out of your vehicle. And it would crush any 410 driven by a poweramp...no joke.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've used my VT Bass with a peavey 12LB 1u DPC 1000. It worked great and was super loud. I would add an eq pedal of some sort though. That way you can control low-mids, high-mids etc.

20. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    That's fine Eublet, but I can't dish out $3k for an amp like that.

Bassist, I was thinking that an EQ would def help me fine-tune the setup.