Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp w/ a tube amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jul 22, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm getting a Mesa Boogie 400+ and I'm wondering if I'll have any use for my sansamp once I get it. I mostly use it to get an svt-ish grindy tube sound out of my ss amp. Anyone use a sansamp w/ this amp or any other tube amp?

I'm thinking about getting rid of some effects to help pay for this amp.

Other effects I currently use, which I'm also curious how they sound with a tube amp: Aphex punch factory (i suspect I will not need this with the 400+), Fulltone bass-drive, Zvex woolly mammoth )I can't wait to hear this one w/ the 400+)...Any thoughts, or experience would be great. Thanks guys!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know somebody who uses a M-2000 and kept his SansAmp.
    I think you just want to give it a try.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, id also like to know hahaha.

4. Me too btw... keep us posted.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    as per the thread i made about the 400+ either we have the amps cranked out the ass, or use the sans amp.

im going to look into one suggestion of taking some tubes out and having it be less wattage so itll be easier to overdrive, but i dont know.

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    :confused: Huh? You should be able to get a gnarly OD by dialing down the Master + dialing up the Input Volume (or vice-versa), with all 12 power tubes pluggin' away. Removing power tubes shouldn't be a serious consideration IMO.

... and especially if you're also hittin' that sucker with a Sansamp before the Input... loads of OD options at your disposal with the stock configuration.

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I have an tube amp and still use the Sansamp, as an eq/fuzz pedal. It works just fine.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I've used the bddi before a mesa m pulse600 (I think?) and also before a mesa boogie traveller(?) heads over a period of months at a local studio. I loved it-just wish I owned the amps. I think you'll find the tonal options you end up with very pleasing, I couldn't fault it from an indie rock perspective.

9. +1.

I'll second that for sure. :)

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That won't get your power tubes to overdrive.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Note the "or vice versa" part.

12. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

"Anyone use a sansamp w/ this amp or any other tube amp?"

Ya, I slam my new YBA 200 with a BDDI for a clean boost, sounds marvelous.

Been using the SA in front of my Demeter/QSC rack for a few years, love it.

It breathes life into both amps.