Sansamp with Aguilar ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Apr 13, 2003.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm slowly collecting enough money to buy my new rig:

SansAmp RBI,
    Carvin DCM1000,
    2 Aguilar GS112's

I'm really anxious about getting the money to buy them. What do you think??
    Will the Aguilar cabs sound good with the SansAmp/Carvin setup? I'll run the cabs stereo; 225watts to each cab, or maybe bridge them to see the difference. Is that enough power for the Aggie sound to shine? The Agui 212 looks very tempting but I need the protability of the 2 cabs. I use a Lakland Skyline 55-01 5-string and play all styles (rock,ska,reggae,
    jazz,etc.). Any opinions about my future rig (I hope!) is welcome.

Thanks for your time and help...
  2. That's my main rig. I bridge my DCM1000 into my GS112s and they sound great. I find that the Aggies sound better when you push them a little. 700w into one or 1000w into both. I also have a SWR 8x8 that I use and the RBI/DCM1000 works really well with it, I call it my mini-SVT.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I don't know what kind of sound you are after, but I suggest you find a way to audition one GS112 together with one GS210. These seem to complement each other extremely well. The 1x12 has that rich, powerful low end and the 2x10 tightens things up, adds serious punch, and great midrange. It would still be fairly portable.

If you get to check them out, let us know what you think.
  4. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for your help guys...

I'd love to pair up the Agui GS210 with the GS112 but it's more expensive. Maybe after I buy my first GS112, if I have the money I'll give the 210 more thought.

5. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Another question..

I'm aware I can bridge the Carvin amp into the GS112's. But, if I decide to run the Gs112's stereo, (225watts per chan), will that be to little power for the Aguilars???

I know I'd have both options, but bridging the amp all the time could be "painful" on the amp overtime.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I wouldn't think it would be too little power, but I'm willing to bet you will be MUCH more satisfied running them bridged mono. The extra juice not only gives you incredible headroom, but lotsa extra balls . . .

I run 1500 watts into my Aguilar 4x10 and it sings . . . when I ran it stereo with 425 watts, it was pretty unremarkable.
  7. I've ran my DCM1000 bridged into 4 ohms and it was fine. I see no reason to run 2 of the same cabs stereo when you can get more power going bridged.
  8. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    You guys are right. It's just that since this will be my first preamp/power amp/cabs setup and I don't want to push my cabs to hard or to little.

I'm most certain I'll gonna run the cabs in bridge mode.

Thanks for the help.
  9. I had one of those cabs and ran it bridged with my RBI\Carvin R 1000(same power section as the DCM 1000).It was pretty loud on it's own,I'd say you will reach a decent volume level way before you overdrive your amp or speakers with two of them.
  10. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post a picture of the rig when I get it.