1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sansamp with gk head...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i went for the clean solid state route. however at times i need an overdrive pedal. all the overdrive pedals are usually made to sound like a tube OD which i can definitely see why.

i was wondering... would using the blend knob help the gk tone come through? or will i still loose the gk tone still?

when i had the sansamp i rarely used the blend knob.. but i do remember my amp at the time loosing its tone and just sounding like the sansamp.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, the blend knob helps a lot. Set it to 12:00 and play around with it from there.

IMO, I'd check out the GK Diesel Dawg. It's the same as the overdrive channel on a GK 2001RB (the amp I own), but is built to mate with GK amps beautifully.

I sold my SansAmp long ago in favor of my 2001RB's overdrive channel. :smug:

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
  4. I had the same setup with a sansamp paradriver and a 1001RB II. It sounded like I threw a big blanket on my speaker cabinet. Even with the unit disabled it didn't quite sound right. I sold it at a loss.

I love my MXR M-80 pre. It doesn't really do the "tubey" thing but it's a great DI, especially with the GK. I'm also a fan of the Voodoo labs Sparkledrive pedal. I've tried several high(ish) end bass overdrive/preamps and didn't really like the with the GK. The ones I mentioned work quite nicely though.

All in all I've found that when you're playing at high volumes pedals/DI's whatever just get in the way of that tone. Buy a good instrument cable and save some dough.

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    the sound clips ive heard of the Diesel have been more towards a distortion. can it be dialed down to a lighter OD?

6. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    i just sold my m80 actually. i didnt like it much as an OD. but i had my eye on a Sparkle Drive recently.. i'll look in to that also.

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
  8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yep - I usually use it for lighter overdrive. The only reason why the clips tend to showcase its distortion is because it has an extensive range of gain.

Check out the video done by Joe P on this forum of the Diesel Dawg and a GK head. I'm not sure what thread it's in, but it's out there somewhere in recent TB history :D

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021