1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by curbowkid, Jan 13, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    So I recently considered getting a sansamp and I was totally blown away how much one of those tiny boxes is. Is there anything comparable for a cheaper price?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    hartke bass attack i think is what its called but the sansamp is so worth it. I own the 3 channel one and love it.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Which SansAmp product are you looking at ? You'll definitely get your money's worth with any of their products and they have great service also. They're just one of those companies one is glad to buy from, IMO. Before considering other options, maybe you can find the SansAmp you're looking for on the used market ?

4. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Behringer makes a knock off, I believe it's the BDI21 ... I've never tried one out but from reading on here, some people love them, some people hate them...

If you watch the classifieds, you should be able to pick up a used sansamp for around $100 ... Not to bad considering how useful they can be...

Edit: this is also assuming your looking for the bddi ...

5. SevenDayBass

SevenDayBass

Jul 16, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Spector basses
    I use the mxr m80+ and love it.

6. They really are not bad if you consider what your getting. They are worth their weight in gold.

7. You can also find used SansAmps, sometimes for the price of a new Behringer knockoff...

I bought my RBI used and, well, I really don't regret it! If I ever had to buy one again, I'd even pay the price for a new one if I had to!

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    If you're looking for something like a SansAmp but cheaper, you'll want the Hartke bass attack. By the time you spend for the MXR M80, you could probably pony up for the SansAmp or the Tone Hammer DI. I wouldn't bother with the $37 Behringer "equivalent." But perhaps I'm wrong. I don't know first hand.

9. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I love the Eden Preamp pedal... Smooth sex.

10. smadder

smadder

Nov 13, 2004
    Go for a used Sansamp or a new or used Eden WTDI. The single channel original model Sansamp and the 3 channel programmable model are only $10 apart from each other new ($199 and $209 respectively). Tech21 is a fantastic company when it comes to customer service (although these things are tanks and will probably not need servicing). MXR's DI is also good, but different. Eden's relatively new WTDI is only $149 and well worth it. The Eden and the Sansamps can serve as a front end into a power amp right from your pedalboard. So you can use one and a powered speaker like a Brergantino IP series or into a power amp and cab of your choice and you'll be set. The MXR does not effectively serve as a front end and if you look through threads here on TB you'll see that folks aren't able to use the MXR as a sole front end into a power amp. But The Eden and the Sansamp models can and do it very well. Sansamps are easier to find used since they've been around longer and the Eden is easier to get new because of the lower street price. They both use different technologies and sound very, very different from each other and have different features, so study up so you know which one will suit your needs better. Of particular note: Sansamps can be overdriven much like a tube amp and you can achieve wonderful overdrive out of them. Eden doesn't work that way but instead serves up the "Eden tone" which is clear and crisp and it's own thing. Also important to note is that a Sansamp can run off a 9v battery or power supply and the Eden takes 12v minimum and comes with an adapter.

Go check out the specs for everything and compare them to a list of features that you are looking for in particular then, if you can, try both of them out and see which one sounds best to you.

11. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    All pre-conceived notions of Behringer hate aside....

Speaking as someone that actually owns both units, the Berhringer knock-off pretty much nails the sound of the Sansamp. That being said, it is nowhere near as well made as the all but bulletproof Sansamp.

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Well alright thanks guys! You were alot of help. I think I'm either gonna get a used sansamp or the behringer :)