Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Santa brought me a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bass Barrister, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Actually, it was Mark Sonksen and his Jeep that helped me get it home but ...

I am now the proud second owner of a fully carved double bass, made in Romania by the famous maker "Unknown" sometime between 1999 and 2001. This bass is a modified 7/8 size with 3/4 string length.

The bass was selected with the invaluable help and advice of Chicago luthier Mark Sonksen, of Sonksen Strings. It's a handful but sounds great. I look forward to starting lessons in a few weeks and will hopefully do this instrument proud.

I'm not digital endowed but you can see this bass on Mark's site, www.sonksenstrings.com . It's No. 0467, Orchestral Series Romanian Bass. As mentioned, I'm the seond owner. Mark has put his touch on this bass to improve the sound and mend a few small cracks.

I'm deeply thankful for Mark's assistance. If you are looking for a bass, Mark has a range of tasty treats available, including some restoration projects not listed on the site. He is well worth a trip to Chicago for a visit.

Happy New Year to all.

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    This the one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NICE!

3. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    yessir... thats my baby

Thanks Aaron.

4. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Santa brought me an Alembic Dragon's Wing. :hyper: Coco Bolo top and back, purpleheart and maple neck, maple and purpleheart laminates, mahogany core, side LEDs. What an instrument. You can view it at www.alembic.com. Go to the Alembic Club, and then click on Shop and Swap Lists. The Topic deals with a Dragon's Wing at Wille's Guitars in St. Paul MN.

Alan

5. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    BB

That's a beaut......congrats and enjoy. I got my bass from Mark....and everything you say about him is spot on....he's really a great guy to do business with.

Happy New Year to all the "dudes and dudettes" of TB. It's a pleasure to come here and learn.

peace