Santa came very early this year . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Oct 27, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

and brought me a new bass!

The back story:
    My wife wanted to take me on a romantic weekend to a spa (so she could get a massage, etc.). I wanted to get a chance to get away from my daughter (I'm a stay-at-home dad with an autistic child) for a little while and play bass, so I thought it was a great idea -- I'd bring a bass and jam in the hotel room through some headphones while she went to the spa. She said she also wanted to do some shopping, so I told her that in return, I wanted to hit a music store "just to play some basses." As I have already bought a Lakland this year, and she had bought me a Tacoma for Father's Day, I was IN NO WAY planning on buying anything -- just getting a chance to play the field, so to speak.

When we got in the store, I saw a Godin A4 semi-acoustic fretless, and as I've wanted to some day get a fretless, I asked to play it. It was used, though gently, and for the first time, I really found a fretless I could play. My previous experiences with fretless basses had not been good, but I found the Godin extremely easy to play, and it had a great tone.

My wife saw me having a great time playing it and GAS-ing for the bass, and asked if I wanted it for Xmas. She said she was planning on getting me an XBox 360, but if I would rather have the bass, she'd get it for me instead. Since it was used, and could be sold at any time, she wanted to get it right then and there, and quickly decided she was going to get it for me.

So Santa came early, and I'm the proud owner of a Godin A4 fretless. It's comfy (though I like the feel of the Satin-finished neck on the Lakland a little better than the glossy feel of the Godin), and easy to play. The tone is very nice, both unplugged and plugged in. The only flaw is a slight buzz between where the 1st and 2nd frets would be on the G string (midway between an A flat and an A) which is caused by a slight worn groove in the fretboard. From what I can tell, the only way it can be fixed is to have a pro sand down the entire fretboard slightly, and since it is hardly noticeable (I didn't even discover it until I'd played it for a few days), I'm inclined not to mess with it. If I play either an A flat or an A, it can't be heard -- it can only be heard in sliding between the notes, and I've do most of my playing farther up the neck. Other than that, the ebony fretboard is in great shape, and I'm getting a nice tone out of it.

String suggestions would be appreciated; I'm thinking of possibly trying some La Bella tapewounds or TI flats.

Now my wife thinks I have all the basses I need. I think I'll wait six months or so before I let her know that she's wrong about that. ;) :D :D

Sorry the pic is so small. I still haven't figured out how people post larger pictures in their posts.

Attached Files:

2. I don't play fretless, so I don't have any suggestions on strings, but that's a nice bass (and an even better wife)! Congrats!
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I love this bass. We had it at the Pro Shop for a while. TI Flats would be killer on it, IMO.
  4. verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Actually I use D'ardario Half Rounds
    Got the life of round wounds and the mellow character of flats
    Great Compromise In My Opinion :bassist:

P.S My wife did the same tinhg to me last Christmas Surprised me with a new Fender MIA Jazz with Ash body and Maple fretboard now my main bass
    My fretless was custom made by a local luthier so to give you a comparison is near impossible.
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Nice Axe!

I would heartliy suggest the Labella Black Nylon Tapewounds. I have them on my Barker 4 and 5 bangers (both fretless) and the sound/feel is awesome. :cool:

- IotaNet
  6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    TI acousticores are a popular recommendation for the piezo semihollows like the The Godin or a Rick Turner Renaissance.
  7. +1 slap on a set of these and you'll say "WOW-WEEEE!"

I know that was my reaction when I put a set on my wishbass after taking off the DR Black beauties...

I have two basses strung with these and am considering a third...

Great bass that Godin...and sounds like you have a great family...good on ya, mate :)
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You have a great wife!

Enjoy your new axe.
  9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Thanks, folks! My wife is pretty awesome. :D

I have to admit, it was pretty sweet checking into the spa with a Lakland and the Godin under my arm. The biggest surprise was that the Lakland never got out of its case, since I was too busy playing with my new baby. BTW, I can now see why some folks around here really love flats. On a fretless, they're buttery-smooth, and a joy to play!

Do the La Bella tapewounds mute the acoustic volume of a bass? I'm enjoying playing it unplugged quite a bit, and I'd hate to have it lose too much volume if I changed the strings. :meh:

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Right on bartman. I must first give you props for being a stay at home dad taking care of an autistic child. Takes alot of strength in many areas to do that. You should take your wife to a spa more often LOL. Take care and know that you are blessed everyday. :)
  11. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Naw. I play mine unplugged all the time- sounds awesome.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with your family and new bass, enjoy. :bassist:
  13. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    That's a really nice lookin' bass! You're wife is def. a keeper! :)
  14. And another person finds out how freakin' awesome Godins are. Kudos, and congratulations. Also nice to see another TBer from Orygun. Go Ducks!