Santa is Coming

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mrs.Mac, Jun 1, 2005.

1. I am looking for information on solid upright. My husband now plays a Kay that has an awesome sound, he is thinking of getting a solid bass and I am now planning for Santa to arrive with a new bass. I need guideance. Could someone give me insight on Wilford's and Juzak's.
  2. By solid, i'm guessing you mean solid wood or not laminated.
    We usually refer to these instruments as being carved.
    There are also other variations on this such as hybrid basses. These have carved tops and laminated ribs and/or backs.
    Your best bet, to start,would be to visit the Newbie Links at the top of the Basses Forum heading. There's actually an area in there for people like you who are looking to purchase a bass for the first time.
    Good luck....
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Wilfers and Juzeks; Wilfer makes all the Basses for Juzek and has since at least 1936 which is the earliest dated Juzek/Wilfer Bass I have seen. I just put a call into Juzek and am waiting to hear back from Bobby, Roberts son and John's nephew about the earilest possible Juzek "labelled" Bass as John ONLY made a few Violins himself in the beginning. Bobby is the oldest living Juzek in the business.

As far as Price goes, I think your money is better spent on a Shen Carved model Bass. Besides owning a few Pedigree Basses I have two Shens and wish I could live 100-200 more years to see how they would stack up and age as compared to the great English and Italian Basses. If you are looking for a Bass in the 10-25K range then try one of Arnold Schnitzers La Scala model or one of his handmade creations which are the best sounding new Basses I have personally played. There are other makers out there in a similar range but I have not played them.
  4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Just wanted to point out that these basses do not cost 10-25K, they are around 6K for the hybrid when you include freight, etc. in case Mrs. Mac is not aware. (The LaScala hybrid is carved top & ribs, but with a laminated back).

My new hybrid LaScala is due in about 2-3 weeks. :hyper:

Thanks for making the wait even harder, Ken... :)
  5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I realize i'd be considered just a kid but-i'll share my experience/view. If he means "solid" as in a better bass-New Standard would be the way to go IMO whether he wants a carved, hybrid, or laminated. Great Value.