1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Santana = desperate.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soong, Feb 25, 2008.

1. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    The poor guy for the last 10 years or so hasn't done much but collaborated with 2nd rate popstars playing the same ol' licks since Black Magic.

He's a decent guitarist, but why does he keep bringing out trash?
    That song with Chad Croeger is just plain annoying too. He's from Nickelback for goodness sake.

Has anyone else noticed his gradual downfall? It's quite a sad realisation, i used to really appreciate his music and musicianship.

Carlos, if your reading this, no one cares for radio friendly songs. And theres nothing special about PRS.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Drugs maybe? Lack of interest?

He was a great guitarist in the day but has fallen into the pay to play realm now.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    He's making more money than you'll ever be able to comprehend.

And I personally dig that song with Chad. It's catchy.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like Santana... I own (almost) all his CDs.

Though I feel the same about a band mentioned in your sig. Has Iron Maiden written a new song since the early 80s?

5. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    i admit, yeah its true. they're chord progressions are getting tedious. they've exploited the repetitive use of the natural minor scale way too much.

although, still put on a good show ^_^ :bassist:

6. I quite like that song with Chad as well and if these interest rates ever back off, I'm considering buying a few Santana CD's (you guys arguing about peer to peer music downloads are making me feel guilty LOL).

And I can't work out why people don't like Nickelback. I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I do like a lot of their songs.

7. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Well, he is getting up there in years. No, I’m not saying he’s old! But, nobody can stay on top forever. At one time –even when Jimi was alive—Carlos Santana had the rep of having the fastest fingers in the rock scene. IMO He still picks some cool strings and still knows how to lay it down smooth too.

Oh yeah… I dig Nickelback too. I think Chad Kroeger can get some of the nastiest sound to date!

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I agree that some of those collaborations are boring and just plain bad pop, but his live band is top-notch (starting with Dennis Chambers) and I think they put out an amazing show.

Not to mention that he's become a gazillionaire after doing all these collaboration.

I don't know, there are a lot of artist out there that I could bash, but I still think Santana has had an exemplary career, especially how he has been able to reinvent himself (for better or for worse, musically) and keep himself in the spotlight.

And "downfall," I don't know what you mean. And I assume you are refering to musicanl downfall, because success-wise he has done more in the last few years than in all of his previous 20 years. How many musicians that played at Woodstock are still successfully touring? And I mean successfully.

Anyhow, Santana: rock on.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Isn't this the definition of "Trolling" on the internet...?

Or as Ed Fuqua might have said - hitting a hornet's nest with a stick to see what comes out...?

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I haven't heard Carlos do anything interesting since the 1970's with John Mclaughlin on the "Love Devotion Surrender" album, and even then, he was under John's wing!

11. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    I think there is an obvious financial component to his collaborations with various pop singers,(personally I sort of dig the Michelle Branch tune) but I wonder if it isn't also an attempt to reach out to a younger generation of listeners who would otherwise not have an opportunity to hear him.

My 11 yr old has an appreciation for many styles of music, but tends to gravitate towards what her homies are all listening to.

Carlos has changed the course of history in guitar oriented music and if you look at his body of work he has never hesitated to experiment in many genres ie rock, blues,soul,jazz, and in that sense his pop collaborations although perhaps not garnering the "respect" of some musicians are really no different.

There are IMHO, not many guitarists (or bassists) that you can flat out identify everytime, on the first spin, no matter what the tune, genre, or how long it has been since hearing them. Which also sort of addresses the OP's negative conotation towards PRS instruments. In the late 60's carlos played Strats and Les Pauls. He still sounded like Carlos. You could give him a Hondo and he'd still sound like Carlos.

So, does Carlos' involvement in a lowly, insipid pop tune make the tune more than it otherwise would be, or just serve to bring him down to a "lower" level? Both?

If myself or the OP had the chops,reputation and iconic ability to put our own indelible stamp on any tune, anytime, wouldn't we? I would.

JKT :)

12. Santana quit high school at 16 to play guitar. He made a style from very different elements than other players, and really stood out in the 1960's, even among the giants of the era.
    He still stands out from both his own age group and the current dreck guitar players.
    He is one of the few players who from that period who are still getting radio/TV time and making current music. He's not 17 anymore like he was at Woodstock, but he still has it, and seems like he still loves playing.

mark

13. i bieleve carlos santana is doing what he is happy with. he knows if he comes up with a "remember me from 70s" album with new songs there are plenty of people who would buy the cd including me even if its 2i bieleve carlos santana is doing what he is happy with. he knows if he comes up with a "remember me from 70s" album with new songs there are plenty of people who would buy the cd including me even if its 2008 and you have p2p networks008 and you have p2p networks

14. I disagree with the sentiment in the OP.

Santana is an excellent guitarist, and he has done something that very few pop music acts have been able to do - sustain that act for more than 40 years. he has been a bit of a chameleon to do it, but as far as I'm concerned the guy deserves NOTHING but respect. Those who don't like him don't have to listen to him....and too many of them voice sentiments based in sour grapes. The guy has got "IT", whatever it is.

I like his music, always have, don't plan to change now.

15. I can never get tired of listening to Carlos Santana. I am sure the Pop groups look for him to collaborate and not the other way around.

16. yeah, its too bad that he makes a ton of money playing with these "second rate" popstars--even if you don't like who he is playing with, its still popular music and he is probably making a boatload of money.

17. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    He deserves everything he makes and hey, he is opening eyes to people who would never listen to ANY guitarist. My daughter likes his music. at least it's somewhat real music and not just a back ground track to lip sync & bump & grind to.

18. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

All that and He sees Angels too!

19. I never "got" it with Santana.