1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Santana - Soul Sacrifice.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Linkert, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Santana - Soul Sacrifice.
    I have never liked Fender basses untill i saw this part from woodstock 1969. OMG im kinda tripping right now!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Just had to post it for human kinds good.

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Speaking of tripping...

I saw a Carlos Santana do a Woodstock related interview many years ago ..

The band that was going on before them had some type of problem and Santana had to fill their slot..
    the whole band had - according to him - taken some mind altering drugs ( LSD, Mushrooms or something along those lines) and all where at the peak of their high kite during that performance.....

its a great performance... that and Ten Years After " I'm Going Home" are my favorite Woodstock performances...

3. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Then, Yay Drugs!

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Sometime after Woodstock Carlos joined Mahavishnu :)

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    awesome. thanks.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Regarding Santana at Woodstock..
    In the interview I saw, Carlos said someone slipped HIM some acid, and before he went on he just kept saying over and over to himself "Oh God please just let me play in time and in tune". I also read in an interview with Entwistle that someone had slipped him some acid too. Ha-ha..those pranksters.

7. This is like the first bassline I ever learned! Great stuff. :hyper:

8. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    What! Shame on you! ;)

I'm happy to see you're coming around!

9. Classic video. Woodstock, and that performance of "Soul Sacrifice" in particular, was really Santana's big break. At the time, they hadn't even released their first album yet -- the only reason they got to play Woodstock was because Bill Graham (one of their early supporters) used his influence to get them on the bill. "Soul Sacrifice" made it onto the Woodstock movie and the soundtrack album, and the rest is history. :bassist:

By the way, the bassist in that clip is David Brown, and he's part of the Santana lineup that got inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    My dad took me to see the movie when it was new (I was too young to get in by myself). He told me a couple of years ago that the only thing he remembered from it was "that black guy's sandaled foot stomping on the Weyerhauser symbol". That was Richie Havens, dad! Free-domm-ah!

11. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Richie Havens is one of my favorite acts from Woodstock. Its funny how it is set up to be some huge event and once to start reading into it and reading notes and stories of people who were there...it was a crappy deal. The PA malfunctioned during the middle of the event ....the rain......some of the acts didnt make it......The Dead complained about their set and got to play again. Dont get me wrong there were some great artists but Its not all that it was built up to be.

12. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    That band was really something. I bought their first five records immediately on release. :cool:

13. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I want to be a black guy now with sideburns and afro. And a sunburst/tort Jazz bass i my hands :D

14. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    great drummer...love the the jazz feel and tone of it...and the look on santanas face half way thro when hes hitting the high sustains....this performance is up there with the best of em.

15. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    :bassist: Perhaps a negroplasty is in order! But watch your knees... :D

(Don't know if you get South Park on TV over there. This is a reference to last night's episode...)

16. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yeah, the whole thing was really shambolic.... but apparantly it was fun despite (or maybe because of) all the chaos and hiccups.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021