1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Santellan Sounds- ELKTRX Bass Mods

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gregmon79, May 19, 2016.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hey all. So I thought I'd ask the ones who'd know. I put this in my vintage modified jazz a couple months back. Really like it. Made quite an improvement on sound. It also made me dislike the SDs that came with it. So I swapped them out with different pups. Even better. This systems also makes it aweowmly easy to swap pups out with its solderless connect system which is just the bees knees IMO.

So, I now have these pups in there (still trying to find out exactly what they are. They were graciously sent to me by a fellow TB'r @DirtyDuke and I'm waiting to see if he remembers what they are) and now I'm trying to find the brightest dip switch combo of the ELKTRX system in this mod. It's the series parallel mod btw.

So I was wondering if any of you either knew this system well and could recommend a good combo of switches or can see the values below to recommend the brightest possible setting. Both pups fully up in "J" mode sounds great. Nice n tight n bright. But the series/parallel pot when pulled gets pretty dark. Not horribly dark, but I'd like to see if there was a way to brighten that up more if I could. Maybe I can't. Figured I'd ask anyway. I've tried messing with the dips myself and most times I can't quite tell a difference. Thanks for the help all!!

image.

2. Hi,

Looks like a cool system, I was just thinking about something like this yesterday. It seems the tone board has four different capacitors (10, 15, 22 and 47n) in parallel that you can turn on and off individually, and the values you get are their combined values. The brightest sound is with the smallest cap in this configuration, so the top one in the list should be the brightest. Also, the absolute brightest sound with no top cut in a passive configuration is with the tone control disconnencted, you could try turning all the dip switches off and see what that does - but that way, you lose the tone control.

Personally, I use my jazz bass pickups (cheap Entwistle ones) wired in series, with a 22n (22n=0.22u, so the third one in this table) cap on the tone pot and I think that's a good, balanced sound.

Regards,
    D

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Awesome! Thanks so much for your input. I actually have bypassed the tone pot before but I cant remember if I tried the parallel mode at the time. I will have to try that tonight along with the other suggestions. Thanks again @innsmouthface!

4. :) You're welcome, and have fun!

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I should also mention that there are dips on all three pot boards. The tone pot has 4 and neck pup has 6. The bridge pup has 3.

So I know that the tone pots does the most, I was hoping I could find a combo on the other two to make it zing. I also believe that one of the switches on both pup pots makes it at 250 or 500k. What would be the difference of those theoretically?

6. gregmon79 likes this.
  7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    innsmouthface likes this.