Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Surgeon, Mar 27, 2005.

1. I've listened to the Sublime song many times, belting out "I don't practice santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball" with the radio at the top of my voice.

Then today I see a news story about a man wanted for the ritualistic sacrifice of some hawks and a goat--and the announcer says it's a form of animal sacrifice called "Santeria" and I thinks to myself "Self, that must be what those sly Sublime kids were singing about!"

I've never heard of this before though--can anyone tell me what the beliefs surrounding this are?

(My theory is that it wasn't Santeria and was the Chupacabra!)
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Santeria = Catholic Saint Voodoo, more or less.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually the Santeria religion was involved in a landmark supreme court church and state case. Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah (1993) (I'm not making this up). The court found that some laws passed by some Florida cities banning animal sacrifice was unconstitutional because they were aimed at the Santeria religion and it's practicioners. If I remember correctly the city's stated reason for banning it was that the garbage men didn't want to pick up the carcasses and animal remains. I studied the case in college.

brad cook
  5. Fascinating stuff! I read the link above, thanks. The case I heard about today was a big deal because the sacrificed animals were hawks--protected species.
  6. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeap.. That bugged me for a long time.. But then I found out by embracing my obsession of Sublime and actually joined a fan page.. ( Eek!