Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Santos Mahogany?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, May 23, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I just bought a 6 ft. board of Mahogany. It had a real nice irridescence to it. I was amazed at how heavy and dense it is. I will try and post a photo once I plane and sand it. anybody work with it before? It seems much heavier than even Sapele..tom

2. I think the heaviest and more dense of the mahoganies is what they call 'honduras mahogany' or 'real mahogany'. I don't know if that's the same thing as 'santos'. too many mahoganies out there!

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Santos mahogany is a lot heavier and harder than honduran, african and sapele. It's about as hard as rosewood and bocote.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    thanks it does seem to be about as heavy as a rosewood. It is going to be neck wood. I guess they will be heavy necks..t

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Santos is not really mahogany. It is closer to the rosewoods and bubinga than the true mahoganies (swietenia spp.).

The numbers published on the web are far from reliable but santos seems to be ~ 60 lbs/ft3 with a janka of 2200. Honduras is 36 and 800 for those measures.