1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sarah Burke

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rtslinger, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Sarah Burke RIP
    The Canadian Press: Donations have been pouring in on behalf of Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke who died Thursday at the age of 29 in a Utah hospital. ...

Burke crashed Jan. 10 in Park City, Utah, while training in a halfpipe. The Olympic gold-medal hopeful and four-time Winter X Games champion tore one of the major arteries supplying blood to her brain and went into cardiac arrest.

She underwent surgery and spent nine days on life support at the University of Utah Hospital. But Burke had suffered irreversible brain damage after the fall because of lack of oxygen and blood to the brain.

2. Sad loss, she looked like quite the talented skier!

Also sad to see how the family have been lumped with such a massive bill :(

3. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    Yes. Her husband and her family are responsible for a $550,000 hospital bill! That's insane. Don't even get me goin' on the US healthcare system...

And I find it inconceivable that athletes competing in dangerous sports like that don't have comprehensive coverage everywhere in the world they compete. I would've thought the athletes and their governing bodies would have that end of things taken care of.

4. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California

So, when you engage in high dangerous activities like freestyle skiing and wind up dead from major injuries, I should have to help foot the bill for what is a result of your recklessness?

No thanks.

I'm pretty sure there is a private fun for athletes out there that will step in, not to mention donations from individuals and such.

Sad sad sad...

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yes, so that when you wind up dead from major injuries as a result of your recklessness we can help foot the bill for your family.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Very sad. She was a great athlete. Liked and respected by her peers in the pipe and the free skiing community as well. She was a fearless big mountain skier as well as a superb park rat.

Fly on Sarah!

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    oh yeah - Next time a 9 on the Richter rocks LA or a hurricane takes out Nola or a wild fire ravages the east of San D - my homeowners will help foot the bill - the comments on health care above seem mean spirited and out of place here.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    One of the glorious things about living in the UK is our National Health Service.

Regardless of your lifestyle choice - whether you drink and end up with liver cirrhosis, smoke and end up with lung cancer, overeat and end up obese OR engage in a sport that puts you in hospital - the NHS is there at the point of need.

Slightly off topic, but there is a big hoohaa at the moment about who should foot the bill to remove privately 'installed' boob implants after the silicon gel was deemed to be unsafe. The private clinics have abandoned their 'customers' in their hour of need, but the NHS has agreed to help these women with the removal operations.

I wouldn't swap the NHS for all the tea in China.

Condolences to the family.

9. FWIW

+1

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    fixed...

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Good catch!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Why didn't she have health insurance?

-Mike

13. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    As I understand it, she didn't have the coverage because she was practicing for a Monster Energy event, which is not sanctioned by the 'Grand Poobahs' of the sport.

But I'm wondering why any athlete would compete in a highly dangerous event like this if they know they aren't covered for medical expenses.

Her handlers, coaches, etcetera, must've known this and had that taken care of.

I'm amazed if they didn't. It borders on negligence.

14. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    No. I think her handlers should've had that taken care of, so that the athletes are covered in every country and every event.

And a lot of people drive like idiots on the road leading to serious injury and death. "Reckless" is relative.

15. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    From the article in my paper it states she lived in Canada. So technically the Canadian Health System should pick up her tab.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Same things I am thinking.

-Mike

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear about this. By all reports, she was a great talent, and I hat to see any young person die.

To participate in any sport like that without a solid insurance policy is irresponsible. Even top-level college football players carry health insurance.

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Looks like all the insurance speculation and so on is pretty much moot now anyway. The money to cover it was raised in only a couple days.

19. I don't want to take this into a political realm at all - and I also certainly understand that one should take responsibility for getting insurance when travelling abroad (that applies to Canadians going to the U.S.A.)

However, I would just like to point out to those Americans on this thread, as a Canadian the concept of being expected to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for my own medical treatment, let alone someone else who is merely part of my family, is quite unfathomable. Hence, the press coverage of this sad event. We really have two very different experiences when it comes to this kind of thing, despite everything else our two countries have in common.