Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saran Wrap ... you gotta love it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I did an interesting thing today. My bride saw fit to buy me a Mackie SWA1501 subwoofer for my small PA today. (Don't worry, Gard, the WT-550 is still in the headlights.) So far, so good. So I got home, and thought, "Hmmmm ... the onliest things that'll ever make it into this unit are the kick drum and my bass." So I set it up in my practice room, and ran the DI out of my WT-800 into the sub-o-rama, and fired the whole thing up.

My, my. That thing sure adds a knob o' thump. The DI comes out of the pre, so it took a bit of adjusting the pre against the DI level, but once I balanced it out against the D-210XLT and D-115XL (SHHHH!), it really puffed up (NOT muffed up).

So it should really sound cool on the small gigs where I don't use a stage amp. Of course, it'll be running through the PA, and the kick will be in there (a good thing), and there'll be that optical Big Bottom from the ol' Aphex 204 in there (just on the bass channel), and I will indeed rule the world as I know it.

And there you have it. Say something or shut up.

Over.

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok, I think ill just shut up.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sounds fine.
    Sort of light greased lightning.

4. Very cool....
    I posted a fair bit last year when I was seriously considering an active sub as a supplement to existing (mono) rig. I like the fact that you don't have to huff a rack-mounted power amp to drive the thing. that Mackie looks like the shiznit; http://www.mackie.com/products/srs1500/index.html
    -10dB @ 36 hz doesn't seem that remarkable don't you think? It's -3dB @ 47 hz which is fairly average for a 15" do you think? Also, the amplifier is rated at 500w's continuous but what is the speaker impedance; probably 8 ohms I'd think. Is the amp 500w's into 8 or 4 ohms?
    I eventually passed on the Mackie as the questions remained unanswered for me. I was afraid that the subwoofer was underpowered. I use a side of my new PLX3002 which has _just_ enough headroom for me, sometimes it does clip. Still...what a cool rig that would be! I'm still soft on it. Lotsa set-up options. I would drive mine with the "subwoofer out" of my DBX 120XP. Ooooh...

[​IMG]

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Sounds like a cool new toy, Munji.

It's early Sunday morning here and I"m only half way through my first cup of coffee, but what's the Saran Wrap connection?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    We run one of those as our PA sub. The active mains that go with it failed *again* last night. It wasn't as bad as the last show -- 1 stopped for only part of the second set, but that was the last straw, those Mackie mains are going away. The sub has never failed and sounds good. I'm considering buying it off of our singer when he gets the new pa, or maybe advising him to keep it as a pa sub and just get new (nonpowered) mains.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    With a genius like Munji...it's just better not to question.

brad cook

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    What kind of mains? We've been running SR1530's as full-range mains (with no subs) for our small PA with no problems whatsoever. Maybe you're trying to get too much out of your mains. Outdoors, we switch over to the JBL MR835s with MR918 subs. I'm looking to add another 3000 watts of PLX headroom on that rig pretty soon.

BTW, I wouldn't really recommend the SWA1501 as part of a bass rig. While it adds monster bottom, you're still going to need something pretty robust to carry the mids and highs. Otherwise, you'll mush out. It'd probably be pretty good for dub, though.

Ahhhh yes ... Saran Wrap. Can't live with it, can't live without it.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh yeah, it's one of these.

[​IMG]

Not one of these.

[​IMG]

Sorry.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Keeps out anthrax and SARS.

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Folks seem to think low notes have to be muddy and boomy because that's what they're used to hearing.

I'm spoiled with subs now and wouldn't run without them.

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    :::oops:ld guy voice on:::

"uhhhh, get me the Robatussin, in case I get the Anthrax"

:::oops:ld guy voice off:::

13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Master, I am not worthy. I cannot snatch the pebble from your hand.

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, we run (ran) the SR1530s as our mains. I don't think we've been pushing them too hard, these have only been indoor shows and the bass mostly comes from my rig, not the PA. Last night was an intermittent problem, so maybe one side did get too hot for a bit, but in the past the problems have been more severe. One night the left side wouldn't power up at all. Another time the right powered but had no sound. He had the input jacks replaced and then some other power related repair, but they are still not reliable. I don't think all Mackies are bad (I use a 1400i for my power amp and it is heavy but great), I think we got a pair of lemons for our mains. The repair bills are starting to add up so away they go. BTW, our sub is the old one w/ the round ports.

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for askin' the "saran wrap question" Rocikindoc. Now, I don't have to, and can just shut up as Munji says.

Nice cab Munji! you'll be the King of the subharmonic realm on all of your gigs!

16. I'm very proud of ya, Munji....

getting closer to that Fieldy tone, eh?....:D

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Long time ago there was a thread about using Mackie subs as a bass rig. I think it was Psycho Bass Guy who jumped on and said that he sold several for that purpose and had plenty come back with this same problem. From memory he said they overheat and shut down a bit too easily.

So I was a bit concerned when I turned up to do a walk-in PA gig and found a full Mackie SR1530 set up and ready to go. It worked faultlessly for me. Actually I thought it sounded pretty darn good for it's size. I was going to quiz the guys who owned the PA but didn't get the chance.

18. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I came here expecting this

[​IMG]

Somehow I feel quite dissapointed...

19. I read the specs on that Mackie SWA-1501. I don't understand how they can call that thing a "subwoofer" if it's down 3db at 47HZ and down a whopping 10DB at 36HZ. Low-B is 31HZ - so you know there will be NOTHING COMING OUT OF THAT THING on low-B, and not even much on low-E (40HZ).

Maybe it's good on a kick drum - but I doubt it!!!

--joe