SARS Casualty (All dressed up with nowhere to go.)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavierG, Apr 27, 2003.

1. So a buddy of mine asks me to take a ferry trip to the island (Vancouver Island) to stand in for his bass player who broke his arm in an accident a week ago. The gig was supposed to happen yesterday, at a luncheon for some conventioneers visiting from Toronto. Well, just as I'm about to drive to the ferry terminal, I get a call on my mobile. The gig is off because a few of the conventioneers showed symptoms of SARS and the group never left Toronto! I guess that kinda makes me the first Talkbass casualty of SARS.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dang it, Buddy! I forgot you are in Canada. Please, please take care.

My mother came down ill yesterday and had to be hospitalized. They thought she might have SARS because of her symptoms, but she hasn't been anywhere near Asia or Canada, so I guess that isn't it. Still, it just shows how jumpy everyone is getting about that disease.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My aunt worked with two people who have died of SARS. She works for the UN in Bangkok, Thailand. One of them was a WHO official who was observing a SARS infected patient in order to better understand the disease. He was infected by the patient and died.
  4. UPDATE -

Bo, you aren't kidding about people being jumpy. I just got another call from my friend who now tells me that it appears 4 people from the group have come down with the flu, and not SARS.
  5. I think he's probably pretty low risk being in Vancouver. He's nowhere near Toronto. That's like telling someone in Seattle to be really careful because there's something going around in Philadelphia. :D

Heck I live 15 minutes away from where most of the cases have been here and I'm not overly worried. There have really been only a very small handful of cases in a city area of 4 or 5 million people. Virtually all cases have been through pretty specific contact, mostly in hospital. There have been almost no 'casual' contact cases.

I think the Toronto case is being blown way out of proportion.

Still, it doesn't hurt to be careful.
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    "i think im taking this trip alone"
    ^good song^

obviously X, and everyone else, stay safe...

7. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    :( Sorry to hear that man....Everybody, just take care of yourselves. This is some scarry stuff.
  8. I think some people are being a little blase' about SARS. I am seeing peoples signatures saying that they are more likely to get hit by a NASCAR. Considering that it has only been in existence a few weeks (in humans) and has already killed over 300 people I think that there is a pretty big risk that this will blow up. There are even cases here in Brisbane, a little city of 1.5 million.

I have also seen it compared to the flu and hence been blown off as not being that much of a risk. But considering that there was a flu which killed more people than WW2 anything that can even be compared to a flu is pretty nasty.

There is my paranoid rant for the day. Proabably due to the fact my family is on a world trip and are going to canada and asia.

9. ................they have technology in Canada ?

10. So do you get the Face mask? New trend SARS mask... ;)