SARS mutates

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 23, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Looks like the concept of david and goliath was possible all along then :/
  2. Let's just hope it can be controlled in time.:(
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    This is not what I wanted to hear. Every time I cough now, I'm worried about it being this SARS thing... ahh springtime in Toronto:rolleyes: :meh:
  4. I was supposed to go on a business trip in may, one stop woulda been toronto. I say woulda, because there's no way I'm going.

I'm not a paranoid guy, but I'm not going to take silly chances. Only way I'd go is w/ a full body condom and a particulate mask :D
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    It's not that bad here yet... It certainly isn't like Hong Kong or Beijing where it seems to be completely out of control. Still I understand why no one would be eager to come here. The worst thing is several idiots (including at least one doctor!)have ignored their quarantine orders. I sincerely hope that all of them are prosecuted to the full extent of the law:mad:
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

SARS... child's play.

Bring it on SARS! I'll show you what an immune system is!
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Apparently the Doctor that discovered SARS died from contracting it. The official story is that it originated in animals. He contracted it while visiting regional towns in China where strangely, the locals have an immunity to it (I find this part of the story hard to believe). He sneezed while waiting for the liift in his hotel and spread it to 6 other people. The rest is history in the making........

Hey jrthebassguy, what's a guy from Texas doing reading the Sydney Morning Herald?
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

According to the W.H.O. it is - Toronto is closed !!

Nobody to go in or out! Well that's what I heard on the News last night.....:meh:
  9. The film 12 Monkeys, anyone?
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought this thread was about the virus that is spreading among the drummers, L.A.R.S. :confused:

"Lately multitude of young drummers have been affected by the L.A.R.S. virus, named after the drummer of Metallica. Fortunately, as it name implys, this virus doesn't have enough kick to knock anyone down."
  11. Like some twisted version of six degrees of seperation.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

PS - why SARS - surely if it is acute, than it is also severe?

Is it really just because they didn't want it to be known as the ARS(e) virus? ;)
  13. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Holy crap....I don't want to think of what would happen if it hit the States. I can't even begin to imagine the fear the Chinese are feeling as they go about their business...Have they closed the schools?
  14. Yep... Toronto is definitely closed! I tried to fly in yesterday and was greeted by this sign....

So, how is this affecting you Torontonian TB'ers? Hope you're holding up and staying healthy.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

On the BBC News they said it meant that the Hotels were deserted - hopefully any TBers are just forced to stay indoors and communicate via the net?
  16. Scary stuff indeed....IMO it's just another attempt by nature to thin out the population.
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    It's not nearly as bad as everyone has made it out to be here. In the Greater Toronto Area we've had something like 320 cases and something like 13 deaths I think. More people die from the flu each year. The newspaper today pointed out that infections seemed to have peaked in late March. In an urban area of 4.5 million or so SARS has infected less than 0.01%.

That said I understand the fears of a lot of travellers and their reluctance to come here. I can't say as though I have done anything specific to avoid SARS. So far I don't know anyone who's been infected or even quarantined for that matter. People in the medical profession here are the ones that are having to take the most precautions. Outside of that it's really just a matter of common sense precautions (avoid areas where the infections is known to be extant, wash hands, etc.).

The thing that concerns me the most is the number of people who have ignored quarantine orders when they know that they have been in contact with the disease or have shown symtoms of it even! The flipside of that is the emergence of people taking SARSbaticals, ie: phone work and say you have a fever or something, it's not like your boss is going to go to your house to check it out.
  18. MmMm...home sweet home...
    I'm definitely not going home this summer, although it really is much more of a scare than an actual threat, or at least it was before. I don't know about now, after this intestinal infection mutation thing. There's only something like a 3% chance of death, but everyone's just scared because they don't know exactly what it is.

And yes, schools were closed back home, if anyone wants to know, for about 3 weeks iirc.
    I'm kind of curious to see how Hong Kong's tourism industry does after this all blows over, though...
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't shoot the messenger, but the fact that the US has withstood the disease has the conspiracy theorists frothing at the mouth. Think MI2. The US creates a disease, sets it loose on the population, then charges a fortune for the cure which of course, it has held all along.............