SAS instead of GAS(?)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Aug 25, 2018.

1. I mean I guess Strings are "gear" so maybe its till GAS?
    I've kind of pushed the threshold of what my wife is willing to allow in so far as basses in my collection (3) So to bring new life / fun to things I've been experimenting with new / different kinds of strings..and boy is it fun.
    Just had all my basses set up and strung w/ various flavors of flats (yes i'm in a flats phase) and its just so much fun. My SB-2 is like a completely different beast w/GHS Brite Flats.
    Anyways I'm having so much fun and loving how different (and new) my babies are w/these different strings.

Nebula24 and BrentSimons like this.
  2. As far as my SAS is concerned, I'm pretty well done with my 5-yr journey. :thumbsup:
    I now own three basses, which is also my limit if I want to stay married. ;)

So, what's next for my GAS? Amps and cabs! :D

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Flatwounds are money savers that is for sure. I already know that I dislike tapewounds and groundwounds, so no wasted $$$ there. I am satisfied with my roundwound choices, and know what I like and what I keep strung. So I only need to buy a few sets a year. Pretty easy really.

michael_t likes this.
  4. Just curious...
    What flats do you have on your basses right now?

I just finished my 3-week test run with the Brite Flats, which are actually half-rounds, and decided they weren't for me.

5. Not if the OP's "string quest" includes TI's. ;):D

6. Me too! :)
    Honestly I've used Rotosound Swing Bass 66s forever and was quite happy but I have tried so many strings over the past two years : DR, Ernie Ball, Dunlop, Daddario, Aurora,LaBella etc and the all make my basses sound different. At least to my ears. Currently my main 4 are all wearing different strings from different manufacturers!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I know what you mean. Every time I get a new set in the mail, it's like Christmas all over again. Can't wait to see what these new ones will sound like!

If you're willing, start posting some clips in the String Comparison Sound Clip thread whenever you try a new one out. We'd all love to hear them :)

8. AVRI 64 Jazz = worn in Chromes.
    I bought a fresh set but just cant bring myself to replace them. They are a couple of years old and sound great
    SB-2 = GHS Brite Flats
    I'm in LOVE with this combo. I emphasize the neck pickup and dial back the tone and this is just an amazing pair
    SR Special = Precision Flats. Love them. I've been playing a lot of jazz walking and Bossa Nova lines and this bass sounds amazing !

michael_t likes this.
  9. Maybe what I need is a nice PJ so I can give the Brite Flats another chance. ;)

trothwell likes this.
  10. I love the feel and sound of the Brite Flats on my SB-2

11. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    ...the more strings I try, the more I find myself liking Rotosound 66. :) I almost never even tried them due to sundry negative reports, rumors, etc.

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021