1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saskatchewan, CA, SGI Rate Hike

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cheamo, Feb 22, 2013.

1. cheamo

cheamo

May 19, 2009
    Saskatoon, SK
    This is mostly for those that live in SK Canada, and mostly for those that ride bikes. SGI currently has a proposal in to raise rates. For most vehicles it is fairly moderate 1-2%. For motorcycles they are trying to raise rates by an average of 73% with many types of bikes being much higher (highest is 459%!, for my bike it will be 236%). Many riders will pay more in a year than their bike is worth.

There is a petition to try and stop this here: http://www.change.org/stopsgi

There is also a facebook group trying to fight this here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/248400351962414/

For those not from Saskatchewan, we have government insurance, and for autos it is the only available insurance so we are forced to go with them. If this goes through lots of guys will be paying more than 2000 a year (even if they've never had a claim), and if they hopped over one province to Alberta they would probably be paying around 700.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Are you posting to gather support for these groups against the increase?

-Mike

3. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    Regina here. This SGI Motorcycle insurance rate hike is totally unfair to say the least...
    you have my support as well as MANY Regina motorcyclists here in the QC.

I think they are trying to drum up funds to move into a new building...

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Super high rates out here in BC too and I don't get it. Costs me almost the same to insure an '86 CBR 250 as it does a '99 SAAB....and the Ducati was almost $2K a year with all bells and whistles. I commuted for ten years on the CBR as my only vehicle and I'd like to go back to at least part time commuting on a bike but it just isn't cost effective. You'd think a driver with years of no claims would get a break for city commuting on a small displacement, low BHP, fuel efficient vehicle that doesn't take a ton of parking space.

5. cheamo

cheamo

May 19, 2009
    Saskatoon, SK
    Yes, unless there is some rule against that. LOL :)