Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sasnsamp and tone control

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 18, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    any one ever archived a good (or even decent) tone with a sansampo and a passive bass with tone set to zero?

i really cant, what am i doing wrong? i hava a jazz bass

2. I use a Streamer Standard (passive) through a SABDDI and have never had any problems tonally.

What settings are you using on the SansAmp?

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

even setting everything flat.

q: the drive control is flat at 12 oclock? or at 7?

4. The drive control is flat at 7, there is no way to remove the drive from the natural sound :p

I have a passive P style on my TR-50, and it sounds ok with the sansamp, its a cheap bass tho, active pickups do make a world of a difference on a sansamp, well thats what i noticed anyways

5. Why would you set everything "flat" if it doesn't sound good?

Twist the knobs until you get a sound you like, that's the whole point.

6. Absolutely agree. Ignore the manual.

:)

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Remember that the passive tone control on your bass only cuts the high frequencies. The tone control has to be set at maximum to deliver the natural tone. Try this and experiment with the settings on the SansAmp as well. I'm positive you can find great tones with your set-up. Good luck.

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    bass-shy's got it. on passive basses, set vol and tone controls to max and then set the sabddi controls for the tone you like. works well for me as follows:

clock positions
    level (overall gain- set last depending upon other settings)
    blend anywhere from 10 to 3 (lower for less mid-scoop)
    treble 10 to 12
    bass 12 to 1
    presence 9 to 12
    drive 11 to 2

9. +1

I set my tone and volume controls to max on my P-Bass and run the following settings;

Clock Positions
    LEVEL - 11
    BLEND - 5
    TREBLE - 11
    BASS - 1
    DRIVE - 1
    PRESENCE - 1

I find this gets a nice fat round tone, just what Im looking for. I have never tried my P-Bass with its tones set at zero, I have always been told it was best to max out your controls on a passive bass as much as possible (I know players who back off the treble control when they first put new strings on the passive basses, but thats about it).

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    yup with tone control at max i can dial very good tone, but the question is still on: anyone uses the sansampo with tone at zero?

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think the question is, does anyone use their bass with tone at zero? I've never personally found a sound I liked with tone at minimum on any passive bass.

If you get the sound you want with tone at max, isn't your problem solved?

12. ++++1.

I don't really understand why you would particularly want to use your passive bass with the tone rolled completely "Off" - especially when, by doing so, you are getting a sound you dislike. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

13. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    when im not using the sansamp, i use a lot the tone al zero, and archive exelent tone, and i can use it too at max (or anything in between) and archive good results too, combined each with the playing, and the eq in the pre.

but whne using the sansamp, i cant archive any good sound with tone at zero, so i was asking if i was mnaking anything wrong? i can archive the tone i want, but why not experiment more? and try new thingss?

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you had the SansAmp programmable BDDI, you could achieve the tone you want, then archive it into memory.

I know, I know, ESL, but I couldn't resist.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, so you experimented more, found some tones that suck, now you know what settings to avoid. Sounds like flat is one of them.

16. ++1. :eek: :eek:

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Whats up with that thing...is it out yet or what? I'm looking to get a samsamp, but i would like to have a couple tones to choose from on the fly. Its exactly what i want.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Hmmmmm? Intersting info.

I will be using my new SABDDI tonight. I bought it to use with my passive Fender Jazz.

So what I'm reading is set my tone control all the way to max and go from there with the Sansamp.

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    glad to see you brought this topic up, I just got my new sansamp in the mail today.....i played around with the settings for 30 min. or so but i had to turn my tone knob down to at least 1/4 of the way on or else I was getting a "clanky" sound unless i turned the treble all the way down on the sansamp...

i was also wonder what i should set the output switch on? line or instrument? i figured instrument since i am using it as a stompbox running directly into my amps input.

also I'm playing with a Fender hwy 1 series jazz....

personally i don't like the idea of setting everything all the way up, if i'd like to turn up while playing it wouldn't be as easy as just turning the volume knob on the bass itself......

i was also wonder if some of you other users of the sansamp would like to share the settings you prefer to use?

20. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    my blend knob broke...it only works at a certain position now :(