1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Satellie or Cable

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by labgnat, Jun 21, 2007.

1. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    What's better for tv? And what the heck is the deal with no choice on cable company. every area has only one choice or satellite. my experience with satellite was crap so i gotta keep payin inflated cable prices cause they like to monopolize. freaking gooballs

2. There are a couple of choices for Satellite in my area, and two choices for Cable (to my knowledge, Verizon and Cablevision/IO)

Personally I prefer Cable, we use Cablevision in my house, and our boxes have DVR on them so we can record tv and such, it is pretty nice. Cheap, I am happy with the channels we get, and overall the quality has been excellent, and never any "outtages" or anything like I have seen from my friends with Satellite.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    They're not inflated prices. The fact is, it's hard work defending cable from the cable gnomes who we took it from in the first place. Those bastards are fierce. Every day we need to hire more and more people to protect our lines and our cable boxes, because gnomes grow in numbers rapidly and they can take out our knees with devastating speed.

What's more, they're trying to make a deal with the trolls to share the cable after they take it back. So now, every time your cable uses a bridge to get to some place, it costs extra to defend against the trolls.

4. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    interesting train of gnome thought

5. What do you guys pay for cable or sat, ours ranges between $30/90 a month, dammmm.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I prefer cable for one reason only...In Demand. I love being able to punch up HBO or Howard TV and watch their programming any time I want rather than wait for a certain time.

7. I agree. Satellite SUCKS as far as I'm concerned. The damn guide isn't even interactive :confused:

8. we used to get NTL cable tv, internet and phone, then it got taken over by virgin, IMO virgin cable cable tv is crap, you dont get any of the sky channels

9. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    What do you mean by interactive? I have Dish Network, and I can flip all through the guide, up to a week ahead, highlight it, and DVR it if I want. Is that what you mean?:confused:

I happen to like the Dish, with the exception of the 10 times (or so) a year that it gets too cloudy to get a good signal. Then I get off my ass and practice :bassist: :smug:
    Also, since I'm on a dead end w/ only 3 houses, the cable co. wanted to charge something like $1700 to run a wire down to us. :rollno: Yea, I'm happy enough w/ the Dish.

YMMV
    gg

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I had digital cable and switched to satellite. I use DirecTV. My main gripe with digital cable is that not all of the channels are digital quality. When I'm paying that much money for tv each month, I want every channel to be crystal clear, not just the ones they choose to give me digitally. This is especially annoying for local channels, which they feed in analog and have a grainy picture compared to channels like Discovery or History. I also like owning the equipment and setting it up in my house how I want to. I use multiple DVR's, and find the system to pretty good, but not as good as TiVo.

Overall, I find that Satellite TV is a superior product to digital cable, though I admit that for those who won't take the time to learn how to use and setup their satellite equipment, digital cable is less of a hassle. But these days, DirecTV pretty much does everything for you, including installing your system in your new home if you move, and for free.

11. I would use cable if i could, but we dont have it in the small town where i live :(

Cable = TV, internet and phones

whereas

Satellite = TV

and, cable prices are the same as what we pay for just satellite TV :(

12. +1, xgabriele. ;)

I got rid of my cable service (Time Warner) two years ago, mainly because I was sick of paying $80 per month :spit: for 150 channels, of which I would watch perhaps 10 on a regular basis.

I'd rather read, be online, or listen to satellite radio than just park myself in front of a TV by rote.

A friend of mine has digital cable and Direct TV, and I prefer the programming on Direct TV.

One of these days, I'll probably order satellite TV, but only if I can get a resonable price on it.

I think some senator or congressman is trying to make all pay TV companies offer packages in which you could select 20 or 30 channels you want and pay less, rather than the standard policy which makes a subscriber pay for many channels which they don't want.

I'm not holding my breath.

Mike

13. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Since my family lives in areas with snow, I will only go cable. My in laws have a satelite due to cable not being availalbe where they live. I see them about 3 times a year for 3-4 days at a stretch. I can expect the satalite to go out at least once while I'm there, sometimes due to rain but mostly snow.

14. Based on poor performance, no customer service, and outrageous pricing, I'll NEVER have cable again. EVER.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm sure you get more snow that I do where you are, but in the north east here we get our fair share of it. I hear this complaint all the time, and I just don't experience the same problems. I've had DirecTV growing up at my parents for 10 years, and have had it at my house the past 3-4 years, and only remember the satellite going out a handfull of times, and that was during really bad electrical storms.

16. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I've been on DirecTv for 8 years. I wouldn't dream of going back to cable, not with our provider. I've got HiDef, and 2 DVR's.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

No contest in the UK - Satellite gives you way more channels and HD, as well as digital recording! :)

18. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Except their shows/programs are random.

I'm in the mood for... comedy. Oops, only garbage. Can I watch *such and such*? No. Not offered. What if I pay for it? Nope.

So what's the point?

I used to watch some of the cartoons. Cromartie High School was awesome. (I bought the series on DVD) But they only had one or two episodes up at a time, and then you STILL had to wait like a week before they got new ones.

Bottom line is, you still only get to watch what they want you to watch. Only difference is when you can watch it.

19. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Y'all watch TV? Ewww.... :D

20. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021