Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Satellite Radio: Sirius Or XM? Why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ebozzz, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Alright, I had an opportunity to try XM for about three weeks and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Never tried Sirius. So, I wondering if those of you who have experience with both could chime in. I don't listen to radio a lot right now due to programming content, commercials, etc...... My listening habits are pretty eclectic (Jazz, R&B, Blues, Funk, Rock, Reggae, some Hip-Hop/Rap, Smooth Jazz, Classical) depending on my mood. Which offers the best value?

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I have Sirius. I got it because it seemed like it had more to offer for my musical taste. I also am a big Howard Stern fan...and fully support his move to satellite radio. Value is great, I originally got it for my girlfriend for xmas. Cost me $250 for the whole deal, including a year of service. 6 mo. later they offered me the option to add another account at a discount. The second reciever cost me $150 for everything, also including 1 year of service.

However, If you are going to want to listen AirAmerica radio, you will have to get XM...since they switched. :scowl: I was pretty pissed about that, I really liked that station...until the sold out.

Anyway, I still listen to CDs more. But, I'm very particular about what I want to hear sometimes. Still a good value, great for road trips w/ the fam.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I picked Sirius. One reason......Howard Stern, nuff said.

5. Sirius. I've listened to XM in my better half's car and I just did not like the variety of music they offered. Sirius seemed to have a wider selection in terms of musical palette as well.

Personally, I will not get either, as I think paying for the subscription when I spend the majority of my car time listening to an MP3 disc would be foolish.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I honestly can't really comprehend the appeal of these services for anyone but long haul truckers.

Anyway, FWIW I get a bunch of Sirius music stations free on Dish Network and it's very cool to have non-stop commercial free music in the speakers above my pool table.

...But I wouldn't pay for it specifically.

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I pondered the same dilemma this summer when deciding what my wife & kids were going to get me for my birthday. And I went Sirius because the NFL is on Sirius (MLB is on XM).

I've got both a car and house kit and have it set up in my office at work. Hours and hours of great music all day long. I feel like I'm more than getting my money's worth out of the subscription.

Now I need to chase them down and get an online ID so I can listen to the NFL feeds over the computer at home.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you answered your question with the first paragraph IMO.
    I have mine on at work all day every day, to not have to listen to commercials is wonderful.

Personally, I chose XM for two reasons:

a) portable player. I take it back and forth between work, home and car. Sirius didn't have portable player at time - they just announced theirs
    b) XM has major league baseball :)

9. I like Sirius alot better, one for Stern (3-ish months away!), two for selection. As said better above. Worth the money over hunting and pecking for decent streaming radio, and it's work friendly...(since I'm not using the company server resources for streaming internet radio)...

Mon

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Howard Stern is hardly a reason to get either - IMO.

Amyway, I have XM. Why? It was all there was when I took the plunge. I like the portable option. Both moot points as there is another service with the same portable options.

I don't think I'll switch. I enjoy the programing on XM just fine.

I have no problem paying for no commercials or stupid "morning drive" or evening drive" idiots. More so, I ive in a small rural area where the choices are minimal.

11. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Sirius. I've listened to XM in my better half's car and I just did not like the variety of music they offered. Sirius seemed to have a wider selection in terms of musical palette as well.

This is what I've found as well. Plus, Sirius has a great smooth jazz channel, Jazz Cafe, and that's what I listen to. Also, the NFL from your hometown announcers on every single game of every team, some MLB (although they might have gotten rid of that now), and the NBA. If you care about the portable thing, Sirius comes in that too.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only reason I can see for getting XM is Jim Philips, who is on the "Hot Talk" channel and has possibly the best talk radio show in the business other than Howard Stern. Fortunately, though, he's local to me, so I don't need XM to pick him up, so I would get Sirius because of Howard. Howard's getting 3 channels to run, and he's already hired Bubba the Love Sponge, so I'm really looking forward to what other surprises he has in store.

13. I can't say anything about Sirius, because XM is the only one I've heard. I went to a party at my sister's house, and one of my nieces had XM, and I was instantly sold.

I don't like Howard Stern, who's on Sirius, and I don't like Opie & Anthony who are on XM, so that's a wash. ;)

I mostly listen to Jazz, Blues, Latin (Luna channel 95) but all the music stations are good - VERY GOOD.

XM also has Sonic Theatre, which has good radio plays like the Twilight Zone and www.radiotales.com

The sound quality is great; I might get the home reciever they have, which is supposed to have a much superior sound to the boom box. If it's superior, then the sound must be unbelievable.

So, if you can't stand commercial radio (who can? :spit: ) I urge you to get one of these as soon as possible. For $12.99 per month XM has given me so many CDs to listen to that I would never have heard otherwise. I can't say enough good things about it.

XM has about 30 more channels than Sirius.

Compare for yourself:
    www.xmradio.com
    or
    www.sirius.com

XM says it has twice as many subscribers as Sirius, which will be an advantage when we XM radio people launch a surprise attack on the Sirius people in late October.

Oopps. I said too much. :p

Mike :D

14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I have Sirius because my father got it a while back for Christmas, and I was instantly sold. I truly love it, and I'm no trucker. I think it has a great variety of music offered. I'm sure I would enjoy XM too, although I can't imagine enjoying it more than my Sirius. I think Sirius is a tad more expensive than XM, though. Still, it's worth every penny to me... I'll never go back to regular radio. There's so much on satellite that you'll never hear on AM/FM. :D

15. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Another Stern fan here who'll be getting Sirius shortly. Love him or hate him, his announcement has made a significant impact on sattelite radio. Since his announcement in 2004, Sirius has seen a 21% increase in new subscriptions and have outpaced new subscriptions at XM by a rate of 3 to 1.

Tom

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've found the same thing as everyone else. Sirius just suits me better. The only thing I really like that XM does and Sirius doesn't is seperating the bluegrass and folk stations.

17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I just checked out Sirius this weekend in my friend's car and loved it. I haven't checked out XM thought. I want Howard on Sirius and MLB on XM. I'll just have to get the MLB package on cable for the Yankees and Sirius for Howard, Jazz, Classic Rock, News and Classical Music.

My question: I'm going to want it for home, car and office. My Nissan Murano is Sirius ready, but I didn't get it yet. If I get it in my car, in my office and at home, does that mean I have to pay the monthly service X 3? Or is there some global plan and I can just buy three receivers?

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    With XM I know that they offer you the ability to add subscriptions for additional radios at a reduced rate but there is maximum number to the radios that you can add. Maybe Sirius has a similar plan?

19. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I'm sold. Looks Like XM for me. :bassist:

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Mike,

Luna was also one of the stations that I was fond of. I also checked out the following pretty extensively:

Jazz
    Real Jazz
    Watercolors
    Beyond Jazz

Blues
    Bluesville

World
    World Zone
    The Joint
    Ngoma

Disco, R&B, Hip-Hop
    Chrome
    Soul Street
    The Flow
    Suite 62
    The Groove
    The Rhyme
    The City

Rock
    Squizz
    The Loft
    XM Music Lab

I actually wrote those channels down just in case I wound up going with XM so that it would make it a little easier to find my grooves. Now I just need to find a way to get a three week trial of Sirius!