Satin finish maintenance, pros & cons

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by VirtualMan, Mar 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. VirtualMan

VirtualMan

Mar 8, 2021
    USA
    Hi all,

New to the forums here after browsing the past few weeks.

I recently got back into guitar/bass playing and had interest in purchasing an instrument in Satin finish. My questions are:
    Do I have to do maintenance on a Satin finish instrument that I wouldn’t on a gloss/poly finish guitar?
    Is there habits I can adopt to help prevent scratching the instrument during use?
    Are there any other considerations in buying satin vs. gloss that I may be overlooking? (Sound, comfort, durability, longterm condition/looks?)

Thanks in advance!

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Contact points (under your forearm, or where you anchor your finger, etc) will slowly become glossy. There's really nothing you can do to stop that, and it's hard to fix once it happens.

Otherwise, there's not much difference as long as you're comparing like materials. Satin doesn't tend to show fingerprints as much, which is a bonus.

IME it's easier to do harm than good when attempting "maintenance" on finishes of any type. Keep it clean with a soft cloth and that's about it.

Bushmaster likes this.
  3. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I know they are all the rage and all the cool kids are wearing them, but I would avoid large belt buckles.

Bushmaster likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022