1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Satin Finish & Touchup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brandonwong, Apr 30, 2006.

1. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    What's the best way to repair scratches on a satin finished bass?

I realized its not as easy as a lacquered or poly finish where you can sand the scratch off and rebuffed it.
    How is it applied in the first place?

2. Reviving a very dead thread but I’m interested in suggestions for this too. I searched the forum but couldn’t find anything relevant! Anyone?

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Sand the scratch it it is shallow, buff it to a shine, then take a scotch scouring pad, the finest you can get, and scour the shine away.

4. Presumably this isn’t so straight forward if it’s a coloured satin finish...?

251BC663-9106-41CA-BC44-EC8AD8B8D1AA.

5. 96tbird

The wood is stained, not the finish. But yes, this is different to a smooth surface that I envisioned. You need to sand the area until the scratches are gone. You can then drop fill it with poly matte or ca, scrape it flat, polish it and then knock the shine off with a scotch pad as above.

6. 96tbird

Good tips here.

funkinbottom likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My satin basses are finished with lacquer.

8. I now have the bass in my possession (from the photo I posted above) and the scratch seems to have gone through the finish and down past the purple stain into the bare wood. So I actually think I’d be better off trying to fill the little strip of bare coloured wood with a well-matched purple ink or something. That would mask it much better than any sanding/buffing