Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Satin gold stacked pots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kronos, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I posted this in the Repair forum, but got no answer.

I believe this forum might be better...

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    The link didn't work for me...

3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Link doesn't work for me, but if satin gold is all you're after you could just get a set of regular gold ones and give them a once over with 0000 steel wool. So long as you don't go through the gold plating it should give you the effect you're after.

-Nate

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Here's a pic of what I wanted to have in the link

[​IMG]

I hope you're right about the 0000 steel wool. I can't seem to find any satin gold hardware anywhere.

*EDIT

Unless, someone could direct me to where I could get some white maple or matching Mahogany knobs for a reasonable price... :D

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yeah, that's a sweet-lookin' bass there. I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers matte over shiney.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Believe it or not, it's a Schecter...and retails for about $560...I definitely am gassing for it. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking of finding wooden stacked knobs for it...preferrably white.

Also, would putting veneers over the pickups cause interference in the sound at all? I'm thinking about white flamed maple veneers..I think it would turn it totally hot...

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Gallery Hardwoods use to carry maple nobs. Maybe Larry can help you out.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good call...He might even be able to tell me whether or not I can use a flame maple veneer over top of the pickups...

*EDIT

I just checked his forum...and sadly he's no longer making knobs...and there are NO stacked knobs. I'll have to pm him to find out if he knows anyone who makes them.

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I got a set of bubinga knobs from Roger at www.thgknobs.com a while back. They are pretty sweet, but thg gets a lot of orders, so they can take a while.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure wood covers won't mess up the sound, as long as the pickups aren't super far from the strings.

10. Wood will not affect magnetic fields. It would be classed together with air and plastics in this regard.

11. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks, both of you. As soon as I get the bass, (which will most likely be within a week or so, depending on the availability of the bass), I'll be contacting THG for the knobs, and seeing if they can supply me with a maple veneer.

Thanks again!

12. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Good luck, and post pics when you can!

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Stilettos are nice basses - probably my favorite production bass. If I didn't build my own stuff, I would DEFINITELY have one.

The steel wool trick would be your best bet, unless you can persuade someone with a Schecter to part with the hardware.