1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Billy K, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    Can the finish on the Highway One P bass from Fender be polished. It is Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    not really, if the sheen of the lacquer is 35% or less, you are satin....you can spray gloss over it and it will burn in with the satin, giving youy a gloss topcoat that can be polished.

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Have you played a polished laquer neck? :)
    You might not like it but thats my thought.

4. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    If the finish material is genuinely nitro, then go to this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504392

At approximately the step in the process where, during final wet sanding with Micromesh, you would be using 2000 grit; go from there and follow the instructions to the completion of the process. You may even be able to start with 4000 grit. BEGIN WITH THE VERY FINEST MICROMESH THAT YOU CAN, AND PROCEED FROM THERE.

It's going to cost you some $$$ to get the right materials to do this with.

No additional spraying is needed if your current finish really is nitro.

However, be warned: a) be certain that your current finish is actually nitro. If it is, and you follow the directions in the thread, you will have good results. b) I bear no liability or responsibility for the methods used or the results should you choose to go forward with this recommendation.

5. Jason_A

Jason_A

May 26, 2009
    Marion, IA
    I'm not sure you'll ever get a real high gloss finish out of the Highway 1's. I'm pretty sure what they use is a real satin - i.e. it has some additives in it to make it satin. You can sand/polish it out to a smoother finish, but likely you won't ever get a real high gloss out of it - it will probably always have some amount of 'sheen' too it.

6. HWY1: Hit it with 1200-1600g and a buffing wheel with caution not to burn through the thin nitro finish. It will come to real high gloss.

7. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    This could be a very valid point. If so, then you will never get the kind of bottomless "depth" that you're looking for (I think).

8. ^ now that's a cool lookin bass if I've ever seen one.

9. Repost. Sorry and thanks El Beardo. At second thought, I deleted this post. I am not in the mood to debate this topic although the proof is in the photo.
    This is a 2005 Highway 1 body with a transparent satin finish buffed to a high gloss. There is plenty of bottomless depth, the photo may not show, but in hand there can be seen the details in the alder wood grain.
    l_dda57cde5e02e8e1d0d53c0e17462b34.png

10. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    I don't think anyone was trying to "debate" the topic, o' moody one!

I was simply saying that the other member MAY have a point. Your photo shows it can be done.

Debate over.

OP, get busy and start sanding and buffing!

11. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I'm willing to bet the neck in question is satin polyurethane and not lacquer at all.;)

12. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I just came out of my zombie woof. Disregard anything I said and polish away. :D

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020