Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Satisfied, At Least for Now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that I picked up a Peavey USA Millennium to go along with my Tribute L-2500, I honestly feel that I have as great a combination of basses that i could possibly buy for the price. These two basses give me lots of great tone a nd playability. The Peavey is still new to me, but its quality is amazing. I can see that this was originally a $1,600 dollar bass. The neck is super thin like a Jazz, the finish is beautiful. I love the 35" scale. This is the first 4 string I have ever owned that had a 35" scale, and it is really nice in combination with the Hipshot D-tuner that comes with this bass. The Hipshot makes detuning really simple, and this is really the first time that I have been able to play a bass with the E dropped to D and not lose my place. The sound is really great , it really reminds me a the Lakland 44-94 but with no coil splitter.

My Tribute is a great five. It packs a great B-string that has no wobble at all. The bass has so many great tones, It can nail both the J and P sounds. It gets a great powerful G&L sound. The active control and treble boost are great also. This bass has fine fit and finish, it is not as nice as the Peavey, but it is a bass with a list price that is half that of the Peavey.

I have posted about both of these basses before, but I have to say that for my style of playing and for my demands, these basses literally give me all that I need. I know myself well enough that having my needs covered does not mean that GAS will go away. As a lover of basses, I know that I will always see one that I like. Given my responsibilities, I know that I won't be getting anything too expensive, probably, $1,500 is the most I can spend on bass anytime in the near future which means that I probably won't get anything beyond a Lakland Skyline, Music Man, Peavey Cirrus, Dingwall, or maybe a USA G&L.

I guess I'm just rambling, but I suppose I'm saying that I've been through enoough basses to know that right now I have two really good basses, and that i could easily spend more and have less. I have certainly done that before. I guess Ill just say to my fellow bass lovers that GAS is like hypertension or diabetes: you can't cure it; so learn to live with it. Before you get anything new, take stock of what you have before you let a great bass go only to regret after you get used to your new toy.