Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

saturday was HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JoelEoM, May 6, 2002.

1. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i havent had time to get on here since then, but i figure ill share it now anyway. had a gig on saturday, it was for this all day park festival type thing. i practiced 3 times with the guitarist/vocalist who had all the songs, and a drummer. drummer was good, but not serious about music. so we have the songs down for the most part, including some covers, and go play the gig. we get there, and theyre running a nice system, EON powered monitors, and 8 yorkville PA cabs, powered by 4(yes FOUR) PLX 3402s. sheesh. too bad this is the first show theyve used them(the engineer at the studio i play at works for these guys, and he told me they had just got them) so theyre running them WAY loud, i cant hear jack from the monitors, and theres about 20 people, sitting, in the audience. if im not in a coffeehouse, i tend to compare audiences to bigger shows ive played, which depresses me. blah. we then get to the goo goo dolls song we were covering, which we practiced in standard tuning, except for the last practice, where the guitarist decided to capo on 1 so he could sing better for it. get to the show, and i watched him capo it on 2 this time(what the??), so im transposing everything in my mind, and he starts the song. i go to play, and im a half step off. so i recoup my thoughts, realize im right on with my fingerings, and i must have bumped my tuner for my E. so right after i adjust a half step or so, he turns my way, and i see hes capoed back on 1. !!!!! so i have to REtune on the fly, and then remember im a half step back for all the notes. argh. ive never played that bad in my life. the rest of the set just went crappy then, and i jetted right after to go to an acoustic jam with some guys. that went very well:) ok, enough rambling.

2. FightinIrish

FightinIrish

Apr 10, 2002
    Same with the guitarist in my band.

This one original song we do, he had a chorus and verses tot he song, so I picked my acoustic up and wrote an intro. So we start playing it(me on bass this time). All of a sudden hes playing the chorus. So I stop and am like "Whats goin on?" "The structure is intro, chorus, verse, chorus, verse". So I was down with that. We start playing again, and he screws up. Then he's like "Ok, lets change the intro to the chorus and the chorus to intro." I was ok with that. Then all of a sudden he goes from intro into the verse. I got pissed off cuz he kept changing the song without telling me, and then he blames it on me cuz he kept making changes to the song without informing me. Yeesh. Then he's like, "Ok, well the structure I was playing goes Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Verse". And I was pissed off at him. The jerk. Damn egotistical bastards those guitarists. We have 2 guitars in our band, for the 20 songs that we play, there at 52 guitar solos. Thats right, 52 guitar solos. The most they play in one song is 8, 4 between both of them. And get this, in all the songs, there are 0 bass solos. Thats right, you heard me, I said it, Z-E-R-O bass solos. The bas*ards.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Joel, this is why god gave us five-strings. The same thing happened to us, and no one in the whole band figured out what was going on until over half way through the song. The audience never knew, because we just did the whole song in the wrong key. For a bassist, this is no problem at all on a five string. Same pattern, different fret. By the end of the song we were all laughing like maniacs, and the audience didn't have a clue.

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    haha, munji, you make an excellent point. now, if you'd like to help me out with buying one of them, hmm?;-)

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, I can suggest which one to buy. This is a Fender Jazz, believe it or not.

[​IMG]

6. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    VERY nice. how much does one of those babies cost? i suppose ill need to leave room for a pair of D410XLT's then too, right?;) :D

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It is very nice indeed. List:$2399 including custom case, leather strap with straplocks, and cord. Price paid at GC: $1462 plus tax.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well here is my advice to you friend! Go up to the guitar player next time he does this and break his nose! Then tell him if he doesnt get straight you will shoot him in the head next time! MAN i hate guitar players!~

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

hey munji... if you ever wanna sell that beast er.. ehem.. give it to me :)... i will take that beauty off your hands at very little cost :D

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, where do I send it?

Actually, I saw one in GC yesterday, the same color quilted top, and it looks AWFUL. There are two large patches of non-quilted wood on the upper and lower parts of the body. I mentioned it to the sales guy (not the usual "dumber-than-a-post" variety) who said, "Yeah, I guess you wouldn't call that a 10 top."

So beware if you mail-order one of these ... make sure the store has a good return policy (like AMS). A buddy of mine had AMS send THREE American Deluxe Stratocasters to him so he could choose the best one. No prob. They just said get an RA number and send 'em back.

11. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    i hate self richteous(spelling?) guitar players, there always trying 2 put themselves over, its a band, a brotherhood, not just a mediary tactic.