save CBGBs benefit shows

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Aug 3, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    For those of you who don't know the legendary CBGBs is in danger of dissapearing forever. Due to astronomical rent prices in lower Manhattan, this underground rock landmark may be gone forever. If you live in the area, or anywhere near...they are having a whole slew of fantastic bands playing benefit shows to help save CBs.

Some of the bands performing include:
    Gorilla Biscuits, Misfits, Living Colour, Flipper, Circle Jerks, Dead Boys, Sham 69, and here for more info.

I saw some fantastic shows there over the years. It would really be a shame to lose such a remarkable place, that played such an important part in the history of rock/punk/hardcore etc... music.

Also if anyone has any cool stories, memories, photos from CBGBs please share them. Or any more info as to why they are closing that would be great. I don't know the details...just heard about it recently.
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    from what i heard from the owner, regardless, after all these benefits to pay back rent, the city will be jacking up the rent so he cannot afford it all together.
  3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats beat. :(
  4. that sucks :( CB's was one of my dream venues to play just becuase its so legendary! wish i was able to help in someway.

bummer :(
  5. NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Im actually going to be playing there tomorrow night! (at the gallery not the main club) Im AMPED!!!!!
  6. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I was hoping to get to hit that gig up when we possibly tour next summer but it looks like that's not gonna happen... :crying:
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tho i'm supremely bummed i cant make the Living Colour show, i'll definitely be at the Dr. Know shows.

and wassup, the Bad Brains cant get together for one good cause? :spit:
  8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Oh man, that would be insane. To bad HR is out of his mind. I saw them last summer and he was completely off his rocker. He was singing all the songs in a little-kid lullaby style voice, totally off time with a crazed look on his face.

Every see the footage from them live at CB's in 1979? It's amazing! So raw and groundbreaking...what a band they were in their day.
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i hate to break it to you guys. cbgb's really sucks.

the sound is good. i give it that. but the place is a reall hazard. a glorified ****hole if you will. floor is horrible right by the stage. shards of metal stick up from the un even floor. we played there twice. once on a show with some awesome touring bands, once on a weeknight.

week night show sucked, there was like 10 people there(we brought all ten). unless you are playing a show with a bigger band, no one cares about the place.

its lengendary, but you arent missing much by playing there/.
  10. ive heard similiar thoughts from other muscians shawn, but it would just be incredible i think.

i remember what the ramones bio said about it - something along the lines of the place stinking of piss and sh!t, with the owner's dogs running around etc. :)
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

what other crap-hole can you say is as historic as CB's? not many if you ask me. ;)
  12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm friends with a dude who played there are a regular basis and he says it's unlikely that CBGBs will be able to stay open in the long term. ABC NO RIO has a better chance of staying open than they do, given that the landlords in the neighborhood want the club out so they can put in some yuppie marts.

On one hand, it's unfortunate to see such an historical place kicked out and torn down. CBGBs was really the place that made NY a viable cityfor music again, and the current Williamsburg/hipster scene that's blossoming there owes a lot to CBs.

On the other hand, the owner is a huge <expletive> who pays lipservice to his club's legacy while giving newer bands that play there the shaft. The dude said he always dealt with the door guys, never Hillel because then he'd be sure to get his money and not have to deal with a guy who he called a "terminal ***hole". Now, he's prone to superlatives, but I've heard similar things from people who've played there. It just makes me think that it's not really worth keeping the club open.

Still, Gorilla Biscuits and Kid Dynamite reunion sounds awesome. I wish I could go...:(
  13. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    i was supremely pissed and afraid when the village voice started talking about this in like march and suggesting that nyu might do it in like they did the bottom line. I go to school at nyu, and alot of ppl in the village hold some animosity towards the school for constantly swallowing up any realestate. but then again, so do I. bastards are taking all of my parents' money :spit:.

I'm kind of psyched for the rally that's supposedly taking place in WSP on the 31st. oh man, the circle jerks!

and yeah, the place looks like a s---hole, and the lineups there aren't great anymore, but i've seen some really good underground bands and watched them blossom to warped tour status like MontsFanClub and the like. CB's Gallery is ok, just as dank, but it's like a new dank. shrug. it's not the same.
  14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The guy that owns the place makes over 7 figures a year on T-shirt sales. He has the resources to save it.
  15. I can imagine the only good thing about playing there is saying you played there. Sort of like the Whiskey in LA.
  16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Not only that, what did he do with the rent money he didn't pay for those years? It's not like they pay bands to play there.

On a good note, the main space has some of the best sound of any place that I've played.
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's always been one of my dreams to play at CBGB's... though on the other hand, I guess my '78 P is more valuable now. Imagining the eBay auction: "...played at the infamous CBGB's... even RECORDED at CBGB's" ...etc.

It sucks.
  18. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    cb's rent is going from 20k a month, to 40k a month

they want it shut down.

honestly, i know its so historic, but id rather see coney island high re opened.

i know a lot of you dont know what cih is, but THAT was the best venue nyc had to offer touring and local hc/punk/metal bands.
  19. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I remeber that place...last show I saw there was an Underdog reunion, cant remember when '99/'00 maybe. That was a great venue...saw alot of good shows there when I was living in Brooklyn.
  20. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Hell yeah! CIH ruled...Madbal, District 9, Merauder, Crown on Thornz, VOD, 25 Ta Life. Damn those shows were the sh*t. One of my old bands played there a couple of times and got to play at the Bulldoze reunion.