1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Save money, don't change B string every time

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tonemachine, Mar 27, 2015.

1. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    If you don't use it anywhere near as much as the others.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, maybe not if that leads to different sound character between that B string and the other newer strings (which I think it often would). Four fresh and bright strings combined with one duller string isn't my favourite. :)

3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Maybe they need to put a counter on the bridge, to count how many times you pluck each string. A "slap" or "pop" counts for two plucks, a "tap" for 1/2 pluck. Each string ought to be good for a million plucks, so you change each string out individually when it hits a million.

:woot:

4. I'd rather change just the E if Fender sold single flats.

Levin and TheBear like this.
  5. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I play a fiver like a fiver, not a four-string with the B just for below-E.

That B string gets played a lot. :)

6. Just wondering how much money I've already saved so far by not owning a 5-string bass. :rolleyes:

Aqualung60, MegaSwing and Jay2U like this.
  7. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    My B gets used a lot, but because I have a harder time telling when it goes dead compared to my other strings, I don't change it as often. Earlier today I took out a bass that I hadn't played in awhile and could hear right away that the top 4 were dead, but the B doesn't sound too bad.

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    No fiver here, but a BEAD beast. I use Ernie Ball flatwounds on it, which I buy as singles. I do use all strings, as I tend to play a little higher up the neck more frequently. I normally change all four strings at the same time.

9. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    By this logic I'll save a bunch of money by never buying a G again.

hdracer and oysteivi like this.
  10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I change all strings at the same time...

stigbeve likes this.
  11. IME, The b needs changed before anything else. It goes from zing to flab before you can say bowel movement.

stigbeve likes this.
  12. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I guess the OP buys individual strings rather than sets? Is that cheaper than buying sets?

13. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Imagine that, put a valid idea out there for people who MIGHT want to try it and guys with nothing better to do shoot it down. My post was carefully qualified for people who dont usee the B that much. My B string on my main bass is now on its 3rd life.... just out of habit, I always changed all 5 but buying a 4 pack worked and then worked again. Thought I'd share that.

Yeah, by my logic you could skip changing your G string if you play it that little (I won't judge you for being that lame)....if they sold packs without G strings, rather than having to buy 3 singles, it would make $$ sense like buying a pack of EADG when a B is still fresh. Unwatched now, trolls.

14. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    When one string breaks, I change the whole set. I live on the B string.

15. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb

Nov 12, 2014
    1351899676-crybaby.

"Yeah, by my logic you could skip changing your G string if you play it that little (I won't judge you for being that lame)"

Who is really the troll here??

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    BrBss and Scooberto like this.
  16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    It still oxidizes. How often would you change it compared to the others?

17. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    I've recently come to the same conclusion. I think I can get by replacing the B string every second or third time I change the others.

18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    If you remember.

19. Whooo!! Someone is butthurt! I've never seen anything like that. Lol I changed all five strings when they were ready to be changed, never foregoing the B. I changed all of them because I used all of them. The cost of five string sets is one of the things I looked into before buying a five string bass. Everyone is different though, there's a multitude of bass players here with an infinite amount of personal opinions on every aspect of basses, amps, pedals, upright basses, players, and yes even strings. So for the OP getting the reaction he received here and getting all jazzy like he did, kind of makes me wonder who the troll really is. :/ JMO

20. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Save money, never change the strings on your five string :D
    I've been blessed with not terribly corrosive hands! Also I love the sound of some dead dead strings, especially Ernie balls.
    Economically if you bought a four string set and a single B string I think depending on the brand you save like 5 bucks over a whole pack, that might be a better option.

cheapbasslovin likes this.