1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Save Sibelius

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bart1966, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MY friends brought this to my attention.Www.sibeliususers.org. Did not find anything about it when I searched talkbass for save Sibelius, so I thought let you all know. Hopefully something good comes of it.
    Bart

2. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Gotta say, I tried out musescore (http://musescore.org) and liked it, intuitive, easy, gets it done. Probably don't want to do a symphony with it (yet) but for lead sheets, it is great.

It sucks about sebeliuis, but cmon, we are talking about Avid, the owners of ProTools etc., lets look back at their long history of giving a darn about what users want..oh yea, they don't.

3. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I wonder if this will be good for Finale or is a sign that expensive music software is a thing of the past?

Back when Logic was $1000 it had a decent printing option that a few people used.I imagine it's better and Logic is now $250.

I use Finale and it's a bit complicated (and expensive to upgrade every year) though for the first time ever they didn't do an upgrade this year. Another sign of the times?

Musescore looks interesting.
    I wil check it out.

4. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Honestly, Sibelius is far and above the most powerful and most user-friendly notation software out there (Finale is for copyists and masochists.....just sayin'). It'll be a shame if it's axed, because it really has been an invaluable tool for me in composing and preparing parts for my players.

Also, to suggest that Logic's "printing" option can even begin to compare with what Sibelius or Finale can do is like saying "why would you even use Aperture when iPhoto has so many of the same options?"

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    It amazes -- and pains -- me to see this. But it seems to keep happening again & again. For inexplicable reasons the market simply cannot sustain more than one full-featured comprehensive music notation software.

It's almost gotten to the point where I've lost interest in pursuing work requiring charts & arrangements simply because I'll either wind up with a proprietary file in an orphaned format, or else I'll have to keep chasing the learning curve as I switch to yet another software. I have gaziggabytes of scores, some going on 25 years old, saved on my hard drives and essentially irretrievable/unusable. Exasperating.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You could keep an old version of it on your computer.

7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    The problem with this approach -- which, believe me, I've embraced many a time -- is that then you can no longer upgrade your OS and/or your peripherals; you're essentially stuck in a time warp, no longer able to maintain a 100% current computer, because you need to maintain an environment that the no-longer-supported/orphaned notation application was designed for.

...and then if your computer dies, needs replacing? Oh, no, that never happens, right? :)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm on the 7th year of mine ;)

Well you could always convert them to a new program...it's a PITA but at least you'd still be able to work with them.