1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

save the body or not? mid/late 70's fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkadelickbass, Apr 15, 2010.

1. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Aug 13, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Social Media and Sales: www.creamcitymusic.com
    I recently picked up a sweet Fender that has been, for lack of better words, goofed up...

It is for sure a 78 Jazz Neck (with sweet pearl blocks), but the body is maybe a 76 P that has been completely refinished. the only indicator of body's age I have is the neck plate...every other piece has been striped and refinished...It also has a bassass bridge and alembic pups...sounds awesome!

My dilemma is that the bridge is off by 3mm so the strings sit wrong and the intonation is ever so slightly off...other than that the bass is amazing.

Should I:
    A) get the bridge moved
    B) put everything in/on a new body
    C) carrots
    D) just leave it alone
    E) body is refined, move the bridge and put a humbucker in the brigde

I will post some pic's...it is literally almost my dream bass! if it had the humbucker it would be...:bassist:

2. A. Just move the bridge.

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Obviously the body is no good. Ship it to me immedietly if not sooner. I have a 76 P-bass A neck I need a body for.:p

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    a/ (a)=A

piccy please.

6. move the bridge.

7. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    move bridge done bye.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 to moving the bridge

9. ahbassman

ahbassman

Dec 8, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    pics please :p

10. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Aug 13, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    im in class until 6ish central time...there will be pics a plenty...

btw, for your GAS, its a maple with pearl blocks neck and the body is LPB-ish...kind of a really good home paint job complete with some "relic-ing"

11. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    no pics no bass

12. You said its a like a dream bass, move the bridge and route it for a humbucker. It may not even be a fender body , sounds like a parts bass.

13. If the body was all original I'd lean towards A, but since it's not, go for E. You'll have your dream bass and keep it forever.

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    A

15. if the original holes are
    still there replace the bridge with something that is designed for a fender.....if they are not it's not a fender body.....if they have been filled in re-drilling should be no problem.....if it's a fender it might be better to sell it intact and rout something custom or after market

16. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Aug 13, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    oh and for I ment:
    E) because it is Refinished move the bridge and put a humbucker in the bridge position...

That would be my "dream bass"

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    A

18. I have done a few of these. My method is to set it all up the way you want it, then pull it all apart again. Fill all the holes you aren't using, then paint/finish the body. Leave for a minimum of three weeks, for all the finish to cure.. Put it all back together, starting with the neck, then electronics/pups etc. then the scratchplate and strap-locks. Finally, string it up and go play with your band mates. I use string, to find out exactly where the bridge should go. Only on the G and E string posts; that way you'll see how close the strings are to the side of the neck....This method works well. Good luck..Don't rush.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Keep in mind that it is FAR more common for string alignment issues to be caused by the neck shifting one way or the other (in a loose or semi-loose neck pocket) then it is for a bridge to be mounted wrong. Often times a quick tug on the neck will even up the strings. Loosen the bolts a touch, pull on the neck around the 3rd fret (or push, depending on which way the strings are misaligned) and then tighten it back up. There's a good chance that the bridge is fine.

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I thought it could be the neck shift as well except he mentioned the intonation is off. Are the strings favoring one side of the neck?