Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Lee (QSC), Mar 16, 2005.

1. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Beatallica is a Milwaukee-based band that does Metallica-style parody of Beatles music. Sony has slapped them with a cease-and-desist order. Why? Because they're big and have lawyers who can intimidate, regardless of parody's being protected under copyright law.

Here's the story:

Here's the band's archived site:

Here's the on-line petition:
  2. Those guys have been treading eggshells from the git-go. They fully realize the toes they could step on would easily moosh them, they've actually consulted with lawyers before they've done anything (other than the first CD).
  3. Beatallica are awesome! Shame that Sony wants to crush them because it's not making money off of them :scowl:

Good news though; apparently Lars himself stepped in to help out the little guys, and now it looks like Sony will probably be dropping the case. Full story:

[Keeping my fingers crossed :hyper: ]
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have never heard them but I support them already.I think Sony is in the wrong here. Its parody and nothing more. You would think they would spend more time trying actually sign some good musicians instead of attacking them :rolleyes:

Sony, get a grip! :mad:
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Great stuff. Nice to see Lars step in.
  6. I got an email from "Jaymz" this afternoon:

I'll keep you updated.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I will have to give a listen to them some time.
  8. My friend told me about this the other day. I LOVE BEATALLICA!
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I signed as soon as Bob posted the link. I saw something about this on CNN HN a few nights ago. I was half asleep, so don't remember any specifics, but it basically said what the above article stated.
  10. Got the Beatallica emailer today-

I'm really anxious to hear what's going on- For those of you around here, Beatallica this Friday Nite! That means you, Vegaas!
  11. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    great band...hoping that all this tawdry balderdash from sony, like a kidney stone, flows away, with all of us the better for it. :p
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting. Since when does Lars care about the little guy? Reminds me of the South Park rerun shown last night:

Detective: This is the home of Lars Ulrich, the drummer for Metallica. [they approach a bush] Look. There's Lars now, sitting by his pool. [he's seen sitting on the edge of a chaise longue, his face in his hands, softly sobbing]

Kyle: What's the matter with him?

Detective: This month he was hoping to have a gold-plated shark tank bar installed right next to the pool, but thanks to people downloading his music for free, he must now wait a few months before he can afford it. [a close-up of Lars sobbing]
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm guessing you didn't listen to the NPR radio show... Big difference between distributing ripped MP3s and distributing your own creative output parodys.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well, the file-sharing debate is off-topic anyway... my bad. Props to Lars for doing the right thing in this case!
  15. Heheh, maybe Lars want to make up for the Napster incident. :p
  16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, they've got away with it.

They were pretty wild though, taking on the worlds two biggest* bands like that.

*maybe not
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Killer update! I'm glad they have survived the storm so to speak.