1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Save Your Back, For the Over 50 Guys

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluewine, Dec 26, 2011.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Are you tired of lugging heavy full rigs to venues that don't require the heavy artillery?

My band plays a lot of small bars so I invested in that GK Ultra Light rig. The 2 10 combo and the 1 15 extension cab.

Both weigh in at about 25 lbs. You can throw both into the back seat of your car with little effort and no stress on your back.

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Well, that’s cool, but my gig rig stays in a band trailer full of PA gear. Some of that stuff is heavy, but we’re five guys so it goes pretty smoothly.

I went the micro amp and light cab, but the cab didn’t last, and now I have to add bracing inside.

Right now I’m using a combo that weighs just under 70lbs, but I added good casters. It has a tuner and comp and other features (most I don't use, though), so I went with practicality not having a lot of things to hook up.

But if you’re just bringing in your bass and rig, you’re totally right to do what you did.

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    My full rig stays in our rehearsal studio. It was a godsend for me to make this move.

I still have back pain from the early 70s when I would load my 8 10 SVT cab into my mom's 2 door Buick Sky Lark.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Only back pain I’ve been getting once in a while is while playing, even on the first set recently, so I’d been thinking about, and actually bought a lighter bass… (still setting it up, haven’t gigged it yet)

but last couple gigs it wasn’t a problem, so I don’t know if I need a lighter bass or not.

I think I caught myself actually putting weight on the top of the bass with my arm, which certainly can't help, so I dunno…

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I bought the Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 Combo - 36 pounds for amp and speaker cab combined, 375W peak power. When I connect the Shuttle 2x10 cab I have (32 pounds), the 4-ohm impedance gives me 600W peak, and it will knock you off the stage.

And I can walk into the venue with the combo in one hand, the 210 cab in the other, and be fully equipped.

I sold all my heavy gear more than a year ago. As far as I'm concerned, toting heavy amps and cabs around is unnecessary unless you're on a tight budget and that's all you can afford...which is perfectly understandable, and something I understand.

At age 61, I can assure you that keeping the weight of equipment down is not only pleasant, but it's also a good way to avoid injury.

6. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    South East Penna
    My heaviest gear are speakers, which weigh 48 pounds each. That's as much as I want .. but I've tried the lighter ones and ... frankly .. will deal with the 48 pounds.

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Don't you know it, combos have come a long way.

I go post eq XRL into our board. We believe in low stage volume and the mains will take care of any volume issues.

8. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    As a youngin' my back is still fine carrying my 2 2x15's and 50 pound head, but I for see buying a lightweight combo/extension speaker rig in the future just so I dont always have to carry my WALL OF FUZZ, I've always liked Markbass combo's.

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Markbass, that stuff looks and sounds great, but a lot pricier than the other major brands

10. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm almost 60. I have not been able to carry heavy cabs for a few years now. And, there is no need. Today, lightweight cabs are getting to be the norm. I carry these 2-112's and a GB neo head. BottomLineCabs0011424x2136.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I can still haul the Sunn or the Traynor if I need to, but my back doesn't like it on a nightly basis. Depending on what you drive it can also be a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle and even the entry to your house.

I go Neo/Micro the majority of the time and I don't own an "Old Guys Rule" T-Shirt....yet.

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Nope, right in line with their competition.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've unloaded most of my heavy gear and switched to lightweight heads and Bergantino AE cabs. It's definitely worth it.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Lightweight gear has been all the rage for years, and the GK stuff is fine if you like their unique tone. There are some great handcarts available for those looking for a way to lighten the load:

MAGNA CART&#8482

I have two of these. They are very small and light, but can carry a lot of gear. I've used them to carry 75 lb mains without any problems. They don't handle stairs well, but there aren't many portable carts that can.

15. MarkBass CMD121 - 26lbs.
    Avatar Neo 2x10 neo cab - 44lbs.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I look forward to returning to this some day. Had that in a band a few years ago, but current band plays at ear bleeding volume. With far too much equipment. I'm getting too old for it all.

17. My rule of thumb is anything over 50 lbs. I won't touch.

18. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Yeah, I wish I could get our stage volume down more, but the guitarist has his way of doing things. That’s why my light GK rig didn’t pan out. MB500 and 212MBE, still couldn’t hear it, and now the cab rattles something fierce. I’ll get to adding cross bracing someday, but I’m not particularly inspired by it.

We did get the guitarist’s volume down considerably from that time, but my TC Electronic BG500 still works to keep up sometimes, but I have to say it’s doing a fine job.

I just bought a used Markbass classic 215 (the cab was jarred pretty badly and the speakers broke out of the baffleboard, so I’ve got to make a new one) but it only weighs a bit over 70 lbs, so it’s kind of a compromise.

I may use that on a bigger/outdoor gig, even though the combo always does the job, sometimes I just like something bigger on the stage.

19. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup. Maybe even 30 pounds

20. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    At 61 I sometimes miss my 72 SVT with a flatback 810, but my back was happy to see it go. Nowdays, I use a GK Mb150s-112 (24lbs) or a GK 400RB-IV (15lbs?) with an Avatar 210 non-neo (55lbs)