1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saved by a grump old drunk Irish dude

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SteveBass5, May 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    This past weekend I played at the East Durham Irish festival in New York State. Saturday the weather was very steamy 100 degrees on the stage with lights. I was so hot and sweaty my shirt is still soaked, I'm sure I lost 10lbs. The gig went over great minus not being able to see. That night we were scheduled to play @ 2am at the hotel we were staying at. That gig was not the best. Playing to drunk Irish guys straight off the boat singing songs from there home land so loud it was tough to pay attention to my band. And I must add the rooms we were staying in have not been updated sense the 60's.
    Sunday started off great sunny and beautiful. We drove up to the festival. As we approached the gate to head to the stage the Old drunk Irish gate keeper would not let us bring our gear to the stage. He didn't understand us when we told him we were playing at the tent right there! And we had a hard time understanding what he was saying because of the thick Irish accent, so we decided to park in the lot and wait closer to gig time to drop our stuff off next to the stage.
    As time went by the clouds started to thicken up and a massive rain storm hit the festival grounds. I have never seen as much rain fall in 2 hours as it did. The stage we were going to play on got washed away all the equipment ruined. A river of rain water 8' wide ruined the area, the tent was ready to collapse.
    If that drunk gate keeper had let us in, we would of droped all of our stuff off under that tent and thousands of dollars worth of gear would of been ruined. My bass, cabs,amps, effects would of been useless. And I would of been so screwed.
    I guess the miscomunication saved the day. So a big thanks to that guy!

Tbone76, Gaolee and S-Bigbottom like this.
  2. You owe him a beer.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Sometimes "dumb luck" is the best kind. You are now a witness.

4. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    All the more reason to never show up on time.;)

5. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester Supporting Member

I would always rather be lucky than good. It works out better.