1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saved by the gig - sorta

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Nov 20, 2002.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Being a typical 'guy' I was feeling just a wee bit ambivalent about the wedding I was set to attend next weekend. Two highschool sweethearts who were classmates with my wife are getting hitched. They're great folks, for sure - but not quite lifelong friends, though I'd worked briefly with the groom-to-be in a project (he's an excellent, Berklee grad guitarist).

Almost had a ticket out when my regular band had a last-minute call for a gig - but one member was filling in for a friend's band whose guitarist had to be absent for, yep, a wedding.

The 'out' came yesterday, when I got a call to do a pick-up blues gig (no rehearsal necessary - just show up and collect $80 for a couple hours work).

So, in the bassist's version of Monopoly, I just drew a card that read "get out of wedding, collect $80 from easy pickup gig"

Of course, knowing that no sin goes unpunished, I think I've figured out that the guy who my bandmate is subbing for is in all likelyhood going to be absent for the sake of THE SAME WEDDING I WAS TO ATTEND!

Ah well, before I start feeling too bad about it, I console myself by recalling this conversation I had with my wife:

Me: I think I've got a gig and will have to miss the wedding.
    Wife: Awww, do you really have to do it???
    Me: Well, let me ask you... would [groom] cancel a gig to come to my wedding?
    Wife: Well, um, he would, um, if [bride] made him do it!
    Me: The defense rests

;)