Saving Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Quap, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Lubbock, Texas
    I strung my bass up with some black tapewounds from LaBella. Not what I was looking for but may want the sound again in the future.

They've been on the bass less than 6 months and don't get heavy playing.

Can strings be saved and stored? These weren't cheap.

Gorn likes this.
  2. Yes, as long as you're careful when uninstalling it, specially with the coiled ends off of the tuner posts. Try to keep them intact by not trying to straighten them too much.

I use Ziploc freezer bags to store strings in to keep them clean and dry.

Quap and Guild B301 like this.
  3. Yes, just exactly what michael_t said above.

Quap likes this.
  4. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Lubbock, Texas
    One bag each string or only one bag? Does it matter? Why is the sky blue?

Vinny_G likes this.
  5. One medium bag for the set. I also use a sticky note to keep track of when they were first installed, how long they were on the bass and when they were uninstalled.

Quap likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    One bag should do. Not really. Because the composition of the atmosphere is such that when light passes through it, the sky appears blue to our eyes.

Vinny_G, J_Bass, Quap and 1 other person like this.
  7. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    It's not. :)

317df4aa3d_50156199_2-mars-curiosity-selfie.jpg

e-flat and Quap like this.
  8. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Just beware, used bass string hoarding is a thing. lol

GlassToMouth likes this.
  9. I have so many used strings...hundreds. I need a micrometer to sort some gauges. Does anyone have an economical recommendation for a digital micrometer that I can sort my strings with? Probably accurate to 1/1000th of an inch (.001") so I can tell the difference between 105 and 100, etc. Bass string hoarding is definitely a thing. I kept almost every bass string for 40 years because my mojo is in those strings! Magical and mystical, oh my!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021