1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

saving the batteries

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZachGoldie, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ZachGoldie

ZachGoldie

Nov 24, 2007
    London
    A bit of a possibly silly question, but do the electronics ever turn off if they're active? I just wondered, since if they do turn off when you take the lead out or something, it'd massively help to save the batteries.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    On almost all active basses the batteries are in the circuit as long as the plug on your cable is in the bass. That's the only way to shut it off, so to save batteries unplug when you're not using it.

3. actually...all active basses, if wired correctly...

i've never seen a bass with an actually, external on/off switch (except bypass, which isn't really "on off")...

4. ZachGoldie

ZachGoldie

Nov 24, 2007
    London
    thought it might be something like that, thanks for clearing it up for me.

5. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, there are some true bypass boards that, when the preamp is turned off, give you truly passive volume and blend. Carvin's preamp board is like that. But you're right; almost all active-passive switches require a live battery; they just don't drain anywhere near the power that active mode does.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    It'd be nice to have a battery bypass switch. I go direct to the PA and some places we play, the house guy leaves my bass in the mix after the set and I hate pulling the cord out to hear POP when I do. I always get a look from the sound guy like I'm the one who screwed up. I'd like a quiter way to do this.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I don't think a battery bypass would stop the pop. A passive instrument will do the same thing.

8. Rufus

Rufus

Feb 6, 2007
    Texas
    Somewhere I saw a type of cord that had a two position 1/4" plug that first cut the connection without the pop and then if you wanted to unplug it all the way you could.
    Man I remember when I was a teenager unplugging a guitar from an amp without turning anything off and the guy working behind the counter went off on me like a stepchild. Right there in the front of the music store in front of all the customers. Totally embarrassing. He was right, but man he made me feel like an idiot! I developed a habit on the spot of turning amps off before unplugging. It's funny now, but at the time, oh so frustrating.:oops:
    Rufus

9. Rufus

Rufus

Feb 6, 2007
    Texas
    http://www.rivercable.com/apx-guitar.html

I've never seen or tried one of these, but it may be worth it when you consider the cost of having to replace some burned up voice coils out of the house tweeters.

10. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    If you had a switch to disconnect the power supply to your active pickups (EMG's most likely) then turning that off would stop all sound from the bass completely.

A witch that just turned off the activeness would be a bypass, and as a hardcore tech, I don't regard putting a preamp outside a pickup an active system as the magnets used in the pickups are different.

Planet waves do a series of leads with Kill Switches on. These are useless live. I am a really energetic performer, and once song my bass around, hitting the floor. When I did that, it hit the kill switch and my sound died. It took me a few seconds to work it out what had happened. I am soon switching to standard PW cables.

11. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, I mean a switch to stop the draw from the batteries so I wouldn't have to unplug.

12. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Yes, Ernie Ball produces such plugs. I'm using a cable with one of these with my active Spector. It is _very_ convenient :cool:

13. Blow0515

Blow0515

Apr 21, 2008
    I run sound for my band and the sound guy/girl should not be leaving your channel open after a set. All things should be muted! For those exact reasons and many more!

14. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    While Carvin's board does give truly passive volume and blend (i.e. no battery required), the active portion of the circuit remains powered even when not in use. However, power consumption is likely much lower, since the opamps don't receive a signal while in passive mode and sit there idly.

15. you can drill a hole in your bass next to the knobs, and mount a killswitch in there, just a simple on/on mini toggle switch. i cant remember how to actually wire it, but it goes between your battery and the pup...or maybe the battery and your output jack....cant remember. but that way itll kill the battery signal....i think if done correctly it should kill all signal. so you could use it to save battery AND unplug :) I might be wrong though

16. i obtained vol pot with dpdt switch and had wired it to switch off the battery while pushed down, and voila! No issues while cable plugged in, no battery drain when i dont need it.

17. +1 on the neutrik silent connector. my mogami platinum cable came with one, and it is totally silent and has hardly any moving parts.

18. Is it the impedance change caused by the presence of a cable and jack or what?

19. Think simpler... the jack socket is a stereo type, meaning it has three connections. The jack plug is a mono type, meaning it has two connections. The two connections of the mono plug short two of the sockets connections together just like a switch would.