Saving up for a 6er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phalanx, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    Hi, im planning to save up for a six string, I feel that I want a much better bass to the Vintage V800 i own currently which might do nicely as a fretless. Anyway, i have a summer job this year and im planning to save up all my money which will probably be around £600 max. I want to get a 6er and the TRB6II has definately caught my eye but is £750 on which is understandable as i think they are out of production. What other basses are an option. I could save longer but for a second bass, £750 is alot of money but I might be willing to get one
  2. How about a YamahTRB1006 they should be in your price-range, i believe.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Lower priced 6's I like.

-Peavey Fury 6. The Fury line has consistent build quality and the Fury I played in a store looked, felt, and sounded like a bass costing a lot more money. The neck is thin and fast. Excellent instrument.

-Ibanez SR506. This bas also has a thin neck, but it's wenge so it didn't feel as fast as the Peavey's maple neck. For a budget 6, it's nice.

-Samick Fairlane 6. This bass has AFAIK the narrowest 6-string neck I'm aware of. It's 2" at the nut and 3.1" at the last fret. The aforementioned basses are 3.25" at the last fret. But it's the neck that fits my hand the best. It's a hair thicker than the Peavey and Ibanez but narrower.

I haven't played the ESP/LTD B206, but it seems like a nice bass. ESP always has good quality across the board and the new '05 models have EMG pickups. Older ones had ESP pickups.

The Peavey and Ibanez also have separate battery compartments while the Samick and ESP do not, if that matters to you. Though I had a repairman install a Carvin battery box in my Fairlane so...