1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saw a mid 70's Jazz Bass with inconsistent pain job..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnie, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    I don't have pictures but it had a Tobacco sunburst, however under the pick guard the color was WAY different. I can't explain what I mean exactly it was a sunburst but the color was NOT consistent with the rest of the bass color.

Now it doesn't look like it was just un faded (non faded) but the coloring definitely looked odd.

Did Fender just paint the sunburst on areas that would be shown and just spray the base coat under the pickguard area?

Man it just looked odd. I was considering buying it it is at a music store (reputable store for that matter).

Can someone shed some light on what I may be talking about?

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The entire body would be painted a consistent color. Old sunburst finishes fade. More specifically, the red fades away, leaving an odd, greenish yellow tobacco-burst. But the finish under the pick guard doesn't fade at all. Very common situation.

3. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    The thick clear coat on those basses also turns yellow.
    So whatever finish it is gets a yellow tint (except under the pickguard).

4. Nope. You guys are wrong. It's a Fender, it must be a defect. :banghead:

josiah goldfish likes this.
  5. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    My late '70s P wasn't sprayed with the middle layer of the burst under the pickguard, so it might be a combination of that and the natural lack of fade under there.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    +1

The red paint would've been covered by the pickguard so they didn't bother wasting it.

OnederTone likes this.
  7. I've found they do tend to get lazy with the burst on the lower horn because no one will see it.

I don't think my 2011 62 avri p has a red layer down there.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Ok thanks because first look IT JUST DIDN'T SEEM RIGHT!... I tell you what it was a freakin lite bass IF it weighed 8 lbs that was a lot.. I can't wait to see what they put it out for sale at..Original case, didn't think to ask if they have the ash trays for it. Sunburst with a maple block neck, I was looking more for a sunburst with rosewood and block in lays..

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Look at the old photos of Jaco... No red where the PG should be. It was the way they all were. When they stopped I don't know...
    jacoenlarge.

10. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    The MIJ Jazz basses currently have the same paint job:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402757483.801742.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    AFAIK suburst Fender Ps and Js have always had the red left out under the pickguard.