Saw a Pre-EB Stingray today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringgirl, Jul 17, 2016.

1. ...OMG drool...

A local musician gave me a tour of his bass and guitar "museum". The piece I went to see was the Stingray. It's a 1978 burst with a maple neck and board, black pickguard. The neck and board was so dark it had a orangey-sienna look to it. Just a stunning piece. I really, really want it. $2850.

I really, really want it.

For realzzz.....drool

2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC

That's what she said!

fourstringgirl likes this.
  3. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    Wish this thread had pics. Was it mint or oozing with mojo? Seems a bit steep in price but not everyday you get a chance at a pre MM.

4. You know, it crossed my mind to take pics but somehow seemed disrespectful? Does that make sense? It was somewhere in between mint and mojo. It had been played but not abused. I will ask about pics and see if he can send me some. He's a good friend in the local musician's circle and would most likely work me a deal on it.

5. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    It definitely makes sense. Only asked for photos to drool over for myself and get a better idea of the condition of the bass. If a deal can be cut, then yeah go for it, cause it's obviously a dream acquisition bass for quite a few players. If not then you could always go used classic for around 40% of that price. Either way good luck, I hope you get it.

6. Did you get to play it or hear it? I would love to hear a review from anyone who's also played the 'old smoothie'.

I would love to own a pre-EBMM Stingray myself one day. Good luck on working out a deal.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you can swing it, go for it.
    I love-love-love my '78 Ray! Pre EB's are my favorite.

8. Found this pretty nice looking '76 on the Kansas City Craigslist recently. Considering the age, apparent condition, and current market for these seems like a fairly reasonable asking price? FWIW I have absolutely no affiliation with the seller, Craigslist or any of that. Just thought I'd post it if anyone happens to be interested. I have a 1980 model sunburst in excellent condition I've owned since '84, pretty sure I wouldn't sell mine at that price and this one is more rare than mine is.

Music Man Stingray - 1976 - one owner!!

9. I would have to play it and hear it before I did a deal. I have a new Chili Red/Tort/rosewood Ray in my sights and had been looking at it before I saw this Pre-EB. So now I'm kind of torn. Between the two it's almost $5000 in basses.....:eek:

10. I'd go with the pre-ebmm Stngray myself. Plus, '78 burst finish with aged tinted neck is superfly. You know you want one!

fourstringgirl and TMARK like this.
  11. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I really like the Pre EB Rays and Sabres. I've had three EB Rays and a Sabre Classic. None of them were as nice, to me, as a Pre EB Sabre/Ray.

I like the EB Ray as a Fretless. This one I've kept. The rest I sold.

I ordered a Ray Old Smoothie. I wasn't interested at all until I played one. It is very similar to a pre EB Ray. Closer than the Classic Ray. It really is smooth, and has something the EB Rays lack.

12. It sounds like you want both, I would too but at what sacrifices would I be willing to make. If only one then my vote goes to the '78 pre. Honestly I've never owned a 'ray, but if I had the cash and wanted one, that old timer would be mine- like yesterday.

13. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I have a 1978 Stingray and it's great. I also have a 2009 Redwood Stingray that's also pretty great too. If you have to have a pre EB, then nothing else will do...I suppose. But, I personally think the EBs are built better with tighter tolerances and consistency. My 1978 has a body to neck gap that Evel Knievel once attempted to jump. About a year after I bought it, its finish started to get soft and the bridge plating began to flake. Both were repaired under warranty...so I guess no harm?

I also had a 1979 Sabre, I dug it...especially the tone. But a HH Stingray can do a Sabre tone extremely well, too.

14. I looked at the Old Smoothie too. It seems I'm drawn to the classic Rays anyway so I would probably love the Pre EB.

Just started full time at my job this week - long time coming! So, my financial picture is going to change significantly very soon. Watch this space!!

TMARK likes this.
  15. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My '78 is perfect, there are no gaps or sloppy build quality on it. I've actually owned several preEB's over the years, none of them were sloppy either.

DSC08027.jpg

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Pics? Of pre-EB Sabres & Rays? Really? Why not?

Left to right, 1978 Stingray, 1979 Sabre, 1980 Sabre.

Heck, how 'bout a quick video?
    For the sake of accuracy, I now longer own the ash 1980 Sabre, but the other two have found their forever home.

Peace,

James

18. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    The Old Smoothie is the closest thing to a Pre EB bass currently manufactured. I've had difficulty finding a Pre EB Ray or Saber that wasn't either trashed or too expensive, or frankly trashed and expensive. I tried the Classics and, while great basses, they didn't do it for me. They didn't have the feel and sounded too modern. Then I played that Old Smoothie. They finally did it. It feels like a Pre EB Ray and sounds like it too. I won't have mine until the Fall. The waiting is killing me.

19. I'll be waiting for a full review on this. With the release of Old Smoothie, Stingray is suddenly on top of my gas list.

fourstringgirl and TMARK like this.
  20. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Ship date is late September! I will post when I receive it. I should bought the one I played at Sam Ash but it was gone when I went back. The Old Smoothie doesn't have that "active" sound, it's much more mellow. Plays like a dream.