Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

saw a very odd bass today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott D, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i was at the local guitar shop, and i look at this bass, an kind of give it a double take... i stroll by it, and strummed it with my thumb, and i only felt 3 strings. i stopped and just stared at it... very odd. it had 2 split style pickups... think... a p-bass pickup, but 2 different sections...

think like this...

_______
    | |
    |_______|

_______
    | |
    |_______|

kinda like mini humbuckers... it was very very odd. has anyone seen anything like this?

the strings looked to be a B, E, A.

EDIT: AAARGH.. can't get the pickups to look right for some reason... they look fine on my thing, but different fonts... etc etc... whatever, i think you guys know what i'm talking about, right?

2. bump

did it have room for 1 or 2 more strings cause some basses in shops always have broken strings

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    LOL, no. just 3. only three tuners on headstock, like 2+1. really odd.

4. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    When you talk about it, though I doubt it, it reminds me of a fancier version of Chris Ballews Bassitar. (Bassitarist and Singer for Presidents of the United States of America) Chris played a two string bass guitar hybrid which was basically a Gibson flying V with two bass strings, .60 and .115 i think. His Guitbass playing counterpart Dave Dederer used a similar tool, utilizing 3 heavier gauge guitar strings to match up closely to the sound. It sounds like what you saw could have been an instrument inspired by the sounds of these two. There arent too many -4 string players around in this world, I'd say theres some sort of connection.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Code:
    just put the diagram thing in code.
    It sounds interesting....I've always wanted a 2 or 3 stringed bass just for the hell of it.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There was once a sucker bass on ebay that was 2-string and had two pickups: they were the two segments of a P-pickup...:eek: :D

oh and it had no knobs! what a POS! :D :D