Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw a very unusual bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    While browsing in a local music store, I noticed a bass unlike any I have seen before. It wasn't that the characteristics of the instrument were that different, but on this particular bass, seemed quite odd. It was a hollow body, fretless Fender P bass. It had a wooden bridge with a built in piezo pick up, as well as a standard P-bass pickup. I thought I had seen about every type of P bass made, but never one like this. Although I did not hear it amplified, it sounded wonderfull unplugged. Now I can't stop thinking about this instrument. Has anyone ever seen one like it? If so what was the cost of it. They had this particular one marked at $425.00 Thanks for any help.... JZ

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fender A/E Precision Bass.

A/E stands for acoustic-electric. Interesting bass, $425 is not a bad price, then again, it's not a great bass. Bodies were made in the U.S., necks were made in Japan. Piezos were not the best. I owned one and while your post makes me miss it, I don't think about it otherwise.

Check the Godin A4 and A5 for a better version of the Fender A/E.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's one on Jethro Tulls Living with the Past -DVD, Ian's playing couple of bluesy songs with the first Tull and the bassist is sporting one. Doesn't sound half bad either.