1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saw a very unusual bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    While browsing in a local music store, I noticed a bass unlike any I have seen before. It wasn't that the characteristics of the instrument were that different, but on this particular bass, seemed quite odd. It was a hollow body, fretless Fender P bass. It had a wooden bridge with a built in piezo pick up, as well as a standard P-bass pickup. I thought I had seen about every type of P bass made, but never one like this. Although I did not hear it amplified, it sounded wonderfull unplugged. Now I can't stop thinking about this instrument. Has anyone ever seen one like it? If so what was the cost of it. They had this particular one marked at $425.00 Thanks for any help.... JZ

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fender A/E Precision Bass.

A/E stands for acoustic-electric. Interesting bass, $425 is not a bad price, then again, it's not a great bass. Bodies were made in the U.S., necks were made in Japan. Piezos were not the best. I owned one and while your post makes me miss it, I don't think about it otherwise.

Check the Godin A4 and A5 for a better version of the Fender A/E.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's one on Jethro Tulls Living with the Past -DVD, Ian's playing couple of bluesy songs with the first Tull and the bassist is sporting one. Doesn't sound half bad either.