Saw Allman Brothers and Skynyrd last night!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by page, May 16, 2005.

1. Abark mentioned it in another thread but he didnt go on about the concert which I will. I was on the floor at the very front in front of the subs and the bass gear......perfect spot! Skynyrd went on first, I wasnt expecting much from them, but suprisingly the put on a great show. Their bassist, while not as mind blowing as Oteil would be later, still rocked hard and was a great showman. They only had two guitarists here so that was kinda a suprise, but that was all they needed. Of course they ended with Freebird, which was awesome.

Next came the Allmans, who blew my mind sonically. I have never heard anything like I did last night, that was..............................WOW!. Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes totally destroyed the place with ravaging guitar work. Oteil was of course........Oteil, excellent. The three percussionists created an unbreakable rythmn and Greg was Greg. Half way during the show this old bluesman named Little Milton came on and jammed with them. It was great, the three guitars playing mad solos all at the same time. Loved it.

I havent really been to many concerts , but that was by far the best ive been too!
  2. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I really want to be happy for you but if I never hear any song by Skynard and never hear any mention of them I would die happy. But Allman Brothers can still rock out.

I saw them on a late night show a while ago and they did a new song (which was good just more pop than normal) and that one song called Mellisa or something. It's their trademark jam song (they did the song good but it If you haven't seen them live do so because they arn't getting better.
  3. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

back in highschool I found and lost LS. I loved all the non radio songs because those were the only ones my peers wouldn't listen to...all the ****ing time.

Then they found out that there are other songs by LS besides Simple Man, Free Bird, and That Smell. That is when LS ceased to be good imo.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dude I agree 100%. I was thinking Skynyrd is going to suck, but they were rocking out. I absolutely loved their rythym/lead player, for a man who has to be 50 he had a great stage prescence. The rythym/slide player (guy in the hat) had no stage prescence and really looked bored for the most part.

My dad said the funniest thing about the Allman's. He thought they were awful; too bluesy and too much free form jamming. I about laughed in his face at that. Apparently he neglected to listen to the 30 minute jam of Stateboro Blues on Live at the Fillmore East. Oh well, at least somebody in this family has decent taste in music.

What did they close with? He was being a whiner and we left after the Blues Jam.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

Glad you enjoyed the show, The Allman Brothers in my mind were the first real "Jam" and may still be the best. The original group with Duane, Berry and Dickie Betts tore up the house in the 70's and to me they had better songs then many of the modern "jam bands". And too me without good songs it's just "noodlin and wankin". The new Allman Brothers did a great double live CD last year called "one way out" at the Beacon Theater, get that and Fillmore East and your set!
  6. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

Club, arena or outdoor venue?

I saw them at an outdoor blues festival two years ago. Freakin' amazing show all around. Pinetop Perkins got up and jammed on the piano for a few tunes. Derek Trucks is the idiot savant of the slide guitar...!

Did they do that freaky background visual thing?

7. Abark- Well, they did a huge BOMBASTIC jam on Jessica, sounded like they played it in a different octave , which was a cool twist. Then they came back on for the encore which was a song I didnt recognize and the background projector showed them with an old tape of Duane playing with them.

Dirtdog- Arena, It was almost packed............and Yes they did do the trippy psychedelic background.

Thinking about it, with Little Milton, one of the songs they jammed on was Stormy Monday and it almost beats the Live at Fillmore East version.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Holy cow....I didn't know LS was still playing. Are any of the guys in LS today the same as the original?

9. Yeah, Rossington for sure and the Keyboard player, im not sure about the bassist.

Rossington looked bored out of his mind the entire show.
  10. oh..............This guy was pretty fun to watch, he was playing a Fender P- Deluxe and was very aggressive, atleast to my ears, but I was right up by him, I could smell him I was so close.

Also , the guy whos playing the Yellow Explorer now came up was so close his crotch was literally jutting in my face!
  11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I have my tickets for the Toledo show July 6th. I'd guess its probably the smallest venue they are doing the whole tour....a 1500 seat theater. No LS, but thats means the Allmans will play a longer show. Row 8 baby!
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The Allman Bro's are amazing. I have seen them many times and hope to do so again.

LS, however ISN'T Lynyrd Skynyrd anymore, really. Now they are some kind of Southern Rock super-group. If you look at the line up, everybody came from other southern rock bands that were huge in the '70's. So LS is part LS, part Molly Hatchett, part Blackfoot, part Outlaws...etc.

And that aside, there is a lot more talent there than their rep would lead one to expect. They had a lot more compositional depth back in the day than most of their contemporaries.

Don't believe me? Listen to the stuff you already know. I'll wait here.

You're back? Good. NOW go listen to 'I Know a Little', and then 'Swamp Music', and then read the lyrics to 'Mr. Saturday Night Special', and 'That Smell'.

Check it out. Compositional variety and social commentary. Surprised?
  13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Ok, I heard that and then we left. Explorer guy is Ricky Medlocke an original member.
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Seriously, as good as Warren is with the slide; he gets buried in comparison to Derek Trucks.
  15. Well, Derek was playing all of this insane guitar stuff with his damn FINGERS, I bet they feel like bricks!!!!
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm pretty sure he copped his fingerpicking from Duane.

I would have killed to have been able to see the original Allman's.
  17. Abark, Where were you sitting??? Just curious, itd be funny if we saw each other and didnt even know it!
  18. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Warren also fingerpicks alot of his slide riffs. There are two definitely smokin guitar players in the ABB,
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Remember the two hanging PA towers? The left one was blocking my view of the black drummer and the percussionist. I sat with the folks the whole show until a few songs before the blues jam. When I was on the floor I was dead center with Warren and about 30 feet back (hundred feet or so in front of the "crowd noise" mic.

I was wearing a blue button up and a khakis. I'm about 5'9 200 lbs with shaved head (3 all around), chops and a short goatee.

I did notice three guys about your age in the same general area.
  20. Really now, three guys and a girl, me - blondish brown with longish sorta curly hair, one with really long hair and a YES shirt, one with same lenght hair as me, and a shortish girl with blond hair?

Did you see the half naked, cowboy hat wearing rednecks? They scared me a bit.